The Road to 10%

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I tried to do Incline Bench Press on a love seat, but it wasn't happening. I have no bench, and I will not get one any time during this cycle. Besides Dips, what exercises can I do to work my chest?</div>

How about a Swiss ball in the meantime:

11swissballpress2.jpg

They're like $15

That's a pretty good idea Dojo! Funny thing is, my fiance and I are were already thinking of getting one.

SST WO - 10/19/07
DB Clean Jumps: 42.5's - 5 (4 sets)
Front Squats: 45 - 5 (5 sets)
Chair Dips: 12 reps (MS), 7 reps (MS)
RCCP: 30 - 15, 40 - 10, 50 - 5

HST WO - 10/20
One-Armed Bent Over Row: 55 - 15, PR - 62.5 - 15
Push Press: 22.5's - 15 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 22.5's - 15, 25's - 15

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 20 2007,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Flies may be interesting to add later in the cycle.  Either them or pullovers.  I love the idea of the swiss ball.
laugh.gif
</div>
Swiss balls are great, especially for 'couples exercise'!
blush.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 21 2007,03:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 20 2007,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Flies may be interesting to add later in the cycle.  Either them or pullovers.  I love the idea of the swiss ball.
laugh.gif
</div>
Swiss balls are great, especially for 'couples exercise'!
blush.gif

laugh.gif

tounge.gif
</div>
All of this praise given to Swiss testicles is...unexpected
tounge.gif

10/22 - HST WO
One-Arm Bent-Over Rows: 62.5 - 10 (2 sets)
Bench Press: 45 - 10*
Push Press: 22.5's - 10 (2 sets)
Standing Calf Raise: 25's - 10 (2 sets)

*Swiss ball won't work due to weight limitations

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 22 2007,19:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*Swiss ball won't work due to weight limitations</div>
OUCH!, I hope you didn't find out the hard way!
ghostface.gif
laugh.gif

Sci,

Nope, but the box said it had a 300 lb limit. Myself + Olympic barbell = 285 lbs. Some of the forces from my weight may goto the floor from my legs, but I don't want to risk anything. I am now looking into pullovers on two chairs for my HST WO.

-Colby

10/25/07 - SST WO
Clean Jumps: 45 - 5, 95 - 5 (2 sets)
Front Squats: 95 - 5 (3 sets)
Deadlift: 95 - WU, 185 - 5, 195 - 5
Chair Dips: 13 reps (MS)

<span style='color:red'>Two things to note:
1) I used a barbell for the clean jumps, may stick with that
2) Wrists are hurting during front squats, need to do something about that
3) Still working on DL form, I tend to not bend my knees enough?</span>

10/26/07 - HST WO
One Arm Bent-Over Row: 50 - 10 (3 sets)
Push Press: 25's - 10 (3 sets)
Pullover: 22.5 - 30 reps
Standing Calf Raise: 40's - 10 (2 sets)

RM test on pullover, 10RM ~= 65lbs, 5RM ~= 90 lbs

I was screwing around w/ front squats today &amp; liked the &quot;Barbell Front Squat&quot;, aka 2nd link, best. But...I was only using 185 &amp; am basically talking out my ass...it'd probably take me a few weeks to figure out which one worked better (for me anyways) ....I dunno, maybe there's an anatomical reason one's better than the other? it definitely got me thinking that I need to work on my wrist flexibility.

keep me posted as I'd like to throw these into my mix at some future point.

Colby, I'd just like to say that our local gym owner checked my deads and informed me I was using too much back - but it couldn't be corrected with the weights I was using. So I've made it a point from the beginning of this cycle starting only with 135 lbs. to correct my form.
I'm allready at 295 x 10 in the mid-tens and feel like there is some serious room for growth there. He'd pointed out that without the correction I'd never hit that 500.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 25 2007,20:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">FRONT SQUAT ANALYSIS...
My wrists hurt because my hands are bent back to have the barbell close to my chest. I was using dumbells, but I have switched to the barbell for practical reasons. The heavier loads really hurt my wrists. FYI, I don't have a cage or rack to do back squats. Of these two type of front squats, which should I choose?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/FrontSquat.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFrontSquat.html</div>
Colby,
Did you follow their link to the elbow positioning page? I found that it was my problem with front squats. My wrists weren't hurting a lot, but they were a little during the sets. I tried keeping my elbows higher and it helped a lot.

Elbow Position

Totentanz,

That may be the problem with my front squats. I will try a parallel elbow position with my front squats this week.

Quad,

As far as deads are concerned, it's been a slow process on changing my form. I still put some bend in my back, and I don't feel it in my hamstrings DURING the lift itself. I'll focus more on my warmups this week.

THANKS for the advice guys!

Now, on to today's workout...

10/28/07 - HST/SST WO
One Arm Bent-Over Rows: 55 - 10 (2 sets)
Clean Jumps: 95 - 5 (2 sets), 100 - 5
Standing Calf Raise: 95 - 10 (3 sets)
Push Press: 27.5's - 10 (2 sets)
Chair Dips: 14 reps (MS)

I have my actuarial exams next Tuesday, and I have very limited time due to studying, so here is my plan for the meantime...

LIFT: Wednesday, Saturday, then back to my normal schedule: Monday through Friday.
EAT: at maintenance*

*Since I don't have the time to work out that much, I won't be able to cut that many calories, so why waste my time trying to cut when I can let my body know I still want to give it food AKA boost my metabolism. I don't want to throw a random SD in my cycle, so the two workouts are there as a spanner until my 5's start next week.

It's good timing since I have been cutting for 10 straight weeks at an average of 427.86 calories under maintenance each day. That's a total of 29950 calories under maintenance OR about an expected 8.56 lbs lost (I lost about 5).

After Tuesday, the real cut and workout schedule begins!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 30 2007,20:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have my actuarial exams next Tuesday</div>
Whoa! Those are some of the toughest exams in the world. Only the best and the brightest can even qualify to take them.
wow.gif

I wish you well.

Tunnelrat,

They're not fun at all.. You don't need to do anything to qualify to take an actuarial exam. All you need is a solid math and finance background.

Back to studying...

Back