The Worst Thing About HST

Bottom line guys; is that you don't have to explain anything to anybody! It's YOUR workout, and YOUR body, and YOUR time, and, oh yeah, that little sheet of paper with your schedule on it is YOURS.
Like Steve J. said, use your headphones and mp3 player and you won't be bothered much.
I used to get in to convo's a lot because I always try to be a nice and helpful type of guy, but noticed eventually that it would eat up my strengths for my workout, kill my focus, and sometimes irritate me. If I use our commercial gym now, I go in with intentions of kicking my butt effectively and I don't stop for anyone to chat. As this thread implies; they're not going to agree with or listen to you anyway; like a drunk, they just came over to give YOU advice.
As for looking at all the girls...I'm too busy looking at my worksheet and making notes to disconnect my workout that way (I'm also married to a fox), but if that inspires you, go for it, it's your game, man. Well, not that I don't notice them...
wow.gif

i guess im a little surprised at some of the expr. others have had at the gym. most of the folks ive come across have been pretty decent and respectful even though its pretty obvious i do a w/o thats very diff. from what most do. the fact that i w/o m,w,f night each week and i am always focused on my w/o has played a part. after a few months/years of seeing similar faces and obviously being dedicated and making progress gains you certain amount of respect without ever having spoken to that person.
of course there is always the occasional "advice offerer" but i just smile and move on, most are just trying to act like they fit in. personally i never offer unsolicited advice and even then i try to keep it exer. specific. i dont have the time (at the gym) to try and recruit/convince anyone over to hst.

i did start out with a home gym for 2 yrs but once i joined a commercial gym there is no going back for me. my house is where i do any number of things and lifting was only one of them. when i go to the gym i only go there to train. it starts when i get my stuff together to go and allows me to focus on just the task at hand. as an example my wife and i are members of the same gym but i will not go with her...its just not what my w/o is about. also there is a certain energy to a gym when others are working hard (not even same w/o or style) that just isnt present in a home gym for me.

anyway, thats been my exper. for what its worth.

I wasn't at a gym but the topic of working out came up anyway with someone I had just met. He was talking about how he was gonna start working out soon and he was gonna stay with it this time, etc.

I told him the secret is don't go to failure all the time like they are going to tell you that you need to do in order to grow, etc. He asked me more questions and so I then started just to explain HST to him.

He couldn't even remember the three letters, much less "hypertrophy specific training".

He finally just said "it sounds too 'scientific' for me" and kinda shunned it. Oh well......his lost efforts, thank God they're not mine! LOL

Some people shun science.  I find it hilarious since science has helped accomplish so much, including going to the moon, and advanced healthcare.  I haven't found one person interested in HST either, I got one guy to look at the website, but he said it sounded too 'advanced' for him.  Others think if you don't follow the routines in the popular muscle mags, you must be training wrong.  Almost everyone I know who 'works out' thinks they know it all already, that is fine with me.  There are about 5 guys at work who are exercising with weights in some form, I am growing in strength and size faster than ALL of them.  Maybe they will eventually notice and ask me how I train!
biggrin.gif

It's a complete 180 from the subject of the thread, but one of the reasons why I'm loving HST is that it's so simple. Maybe the science behind it is complex, but the principles are quite easy to grasp and put into practice.

But I'm forwarned: if anyone asks me about what HST is, I'll just let them see the results for themselves before I get into talking about all the science...

Ummm, it's not too sciency or complicated.  In fact, although it's not powerlifting - I've known some powerlifters who use the same principals to break through sticking points.

Drop the weight to something easy, work your way back up to a new PR over a couple of weeks.

If you make a slight increase each training cycle you get a new PR for each two week block.  That's 4 new PRs every 8 weeks - FOR EVERY LIFT.  

That simplifies it for some people perhaps.  Just say, "I drop the weight to something easy and work up to a new PR every 2 weeks."  Then they'll understand it.  If it interests them - then they'll ask for more.  If it's too complicated - then it's their loss.  Just remind them - there are many ways to make muscle, as long as they involve finding something heavy, picking it up and putting it down, they all work. Pick one and stick with it as long as it is working.

In general, people just don't get that you don't have to go to failure each and every set. Just about everyone thinks that the perceived effort is directly linked to muscle growth. So, they end up trying a new program every two weeks or so, hoping that this will be the one which will instantly transform them into muscle monsters. Honestly, once you have a firm grasp on the science behind HST, everything seems crystal clear. You don't have to wander around searching for new routines everyday and blindly do what others advise you to do.

Regards,
Dimitris

Back