Theraband

akinu

Hi,

Has anyobody tried working out with therabands or any other resistance tubes or bands? I am considering switching to that since its very easy to carry and I travel frequently. But I am not sure if it really is a viable alternative to gym equipment.

I have used Therabands for shoulder rehabilitation a lot over the years. I don't think they would be any good for a main exercise source though.

That being said they would be better than absolutely nothing but not by much.

A lot of gyms will let you pay a one day fee if you are only in town for a few days. That's what I would do. Or you could use the motel equipment if you are at a motel that has an exercise room.

My 2 cents.

IMHO, the best band resistance travel gyms are the Lifeline stuff Lifeline USA.  I used to use mine frequently when I traveled a lot.  These days I don't travel as much and it is easier to find a hotel with fitness equipment, but the bands are still useful.

Nice thing about Lifeline is that you can get bands calibrated in 10 lb increments all the way to 100 lbs resistance (measured at 100% stretch).  You can even use multiple bands to get up to 300 pounds resistance.  While clever, I don't find the "lifting bar" too useful and would just get the band and handle version. Tote Gym

No, this doesn't replace real iron, but it is useful for those times when you are in some small town that doesn't have a lot of options.

I don't know what country you're in, but some franchise gyms, like world gym, and gold's will honor a travel pass in their other gyms so you don't have to pay. If the guy at world gym tells you other gym franchises will honor their pass; he's lying. (been there.)

I live in the UK, but I travel a lot around Europe and the Middle East, so I don't have the privileges of the fitness industry in the US.

Is there really no way to make exercise bands useful? I mean, what if I use 10 heaviest bands? I will still be lifting as much as I do with iron, although the resistance is not the same throughout the movement.

I understand that it is difficult to use them while on an HST cycle, but what about maintenance?

Well to effectively train the squat etc you couldn't go far wrong with one of these: PDA Auto Exerciser (I doubt it'd take up much room & due to the leverage not a lot of weight would be required)
cool.gif

Top right is a Pegasus2 for the forearms
...of course you could make these yourself

That looks like a pretty neat little unit! And it would fit nicely in the trunk of your car....if you are driving.

The only thing about that for shrugs is that you might as well use an Ex-Curl bar or barbell as the bar is still in the way of one's crotch.
rock.gif

I have gone through the Bowflex thread here. Actually, in principle, there is not much difference between bowflex and theraband, since both utilize progressive resistance and partial isometrics. The downside of the Bowflex is that, yes, when you max out on it, you don't have much options.

But with theraband, you can always add in bands to increase the resistance. Heck, you can use 20 x 10lbs resistance bands! I do understand why I should go for the iron when I got the chance, but I don't understand why therabands (when used in numbers) shouldn't be an alternative to that
rock.gif

ANY exersize is better than NO exersize! Yeah, the bands aren't iron, but there's a principle at work here: the definition of exersize.

Exersize is activity above and beyond that to which you are presently accustomed to.

But that doesn't make you strong. Training does.

Training is exersizing consistently, and progressively.

Play with your bands if you want to. You might also look into BW exersizes, motel exersizes (bench the bed, curl the chair; DON'T try chins on the shower bar...) and in your case, an old bullworker would come in handy. I think they're still around...I saw some at Play it Again Sports, so they can be found used at least.

Back