Thermogenesis and calories

Manic

I have some questions (I didn’t find any convincing answers yet -- Aaron, Bryan?) :

1- Are the formulas used to estimate the BMR taking into account thermogenesis (mainly from proteins and fiber)? And if so, how can that be since types of diets vary (in terms of protein and fiber intake)?

2- (this question depends on the answer to the first one…) Since fiber and proteins will increase thermogenesis (and so, decrease total calories available after digestion), should one take into account the amount of protein and fiber ingested when counting daily calories to meat BMR (or bulk)? And if so, how would one estimate the amount of "active" calories?

3- and… Should I “worry” about the effects of thermogenesis on my calorie counting? :)

Thanks!

M.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ April 15 2004,9:01)]I have some questions (I didn’t find any convincing answers yet -- Aaron, Bryan?) :
1- Are the formulas used to estimate the BMR taking into account thermogenesis (mainly from proteins and fiber)? And if so, how can that be since types of diets vary (in terms of protein and fiber intake)?
2- (this question depends on the answer to the first one…) Since fiber and proteins will increase thermogenesis (and so, decrease total calories available after digestion), should one take into account the amount of protein and fiber ingested when counting daily calories to meat BMR (or bulk)? And if so, how would one estimate the amount of "active" calories?
BMR is the basal rate, not including anything other htan what is required at rest, fasted. The Activity factors include the thermic effect of food/actiivity
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2- (this question depends on the answer to the first one…) Since fiber and proteins will increase thermogenesis (and so, decrease total calories available after digestion), should one take into account the amount of protein and fiber ingested when counting daily calories to meat BMR (or bulk)? And if so, how would one estimate the amount of "active" calories?
dont woryr about it
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3- and… Should I “worry” about the effects of thermogenesis on my calorie counting? :)
Thanks!
M.
Dont worry about it

Back