Thinking of cutting out higher rep ranges

stealthboy

I find that during the 15s I dont really grow but once I reach the 10s and particularly 5s I grow rapidly. When I was using other styles of training like HIT I got the most gains from working around a 6rep set.
So I was wondering if there is really a great benefit to having the 15s and am considering using a different rep scheme like 12,9,6 and 3 or 10,8,6 and 4 as this is where my growth occurs. I know that some people will grow with 15s especially with proper SD but I seem to have a higher fast twitch ratio and have minimal growth until I reach 10reps and below.
Is there anyone who has already tried using lower rep ranges?
Can anyone convince me of the benefits of the 15s if I am not growing from them?-any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks-Will

The 15s are not about growth. They are about preparing your joints and connective tissue for the stress of higher weights (the lower rep phases). They're a potentiation phase for these tissues, you might say.

In principle, skipping them isn't the best idea....but it's a personal choice for many.

I considered cutting the 15s down to a week rather than skipping them, but thinking back - the 15s did kind of kick my butt, but I actually felt great the whole time I was doing them. Not to mention the extra water and carbs my muscles were holding giving me that extra ego boost when I busted out the measuring tape.

But anyway, I agree with what Jester said, I don't think skipping them is the best idea. If you want to play around with them, I would cut them down to just one week first before I tried removing them completely.

Then again, if you're a seasoned HST'er, you might not need them at all, in which case, I would recommend checking out Lance's thread. It looks really interesting. In a year or so, once I've got enough cycles under my belt, I might try it out myself.

Back