Thinkmuscle Newsletter

dkm1987

This is something Bryan and I collaborated on in the past but unfortunately it was put on the wayside.

I have always felt it to be one of the best Newsletters where one could seek and find truth in Body building science without all the fru fru.

I would love to see it revived but I personally would need help to do it, more writers, more content, and even advertisers, if we were to keep it free.

So I wanted to start this poll to see if there is even enough interest to warrant the possibility.

Please let me know your thoughts.

OK. My vote is for the Thinkmuscle newsletter being revived even if I have to pay. The amount would have to make sense though but as I'm planning on training from home I will have my gym membership sub to put towards gym gear and training info.

Of course, I'd love an HST book or a printed up Max-Stim book that was full of great no BS info cool pics. It's amazing how well Dr. Darden has done from the info he has disseminated over the years, all helped along by great images. Of course, I don't actually know how well he's done from it. I'm just guessing it was worth it because he's still going strong.

For an HST book, the more scientific approach could be helped along by some well drawn diagrams, graphs and charts to explain points in the text. That would be a big plus for me.

I'd pay for a new Thinkmuscle Newsletter, unless it would mean taking away resources that could be used to release an extensive HST- or Max-Stim-book.

Sure it's possible to garner all the information from different articles and threads, but as a tool to promote HST my number one choice would be a simple book. And promoting HST should be the number one priority, no?

I voted to bring it back but, thinking about it...I`d like the HST books to be finished in my lifetime, and I`ve only got some 60-70 years left I reckon, so I don`t think Bryan needs anything else to do.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Apr. 30 2007,17:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I`d like the HST books to be finished in my lifetime, and I`ve only got some 60-70 years left I reckon, so I don`t think Bryan needs anything else to do.
biggrin.gif
</div>
It will be.........I promise

I would also prefer that the HST book be finished first. I plan on buying at least 3 copies minimum.

I voted &quot;I think it should but I wouldn't pay for it&quot;, because I haven't paid for online fitness advice in my life, and don't ever plan to.

The only reason I got into HST in the first place was because it was available free, there's so many interesting training programs and diets I've read about on the net that I haven't got into because you have to pay for them, sometimes over $300!

The good advice can always be found for free.

Having said that, if a hard copy HST book comes out, I'd buy that (because its an actual book)

It'd be nice to see it in the ol' inbox again. Format wise I'd like to see a round up of (that months) forum questions - may be with some more in depth answers, but mostly for Dan/Bryan's perspective. This would give recipients a flavour of the forum, encouraging more to visit/use; Thinkmuscle working as a primer...
cool.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 30 2007,20:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Apr. 30 2007,17:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I`d like the HST books to be finished in my lifetime, and I`ve only got some 60-70 years left I reckon, so I don`t think Bryan needs anything else to do.
biggrin.gif
</div>
It will be.........I promise</div>
Darn, I knew I should`ve chosen a more conservative interval...now you`ve figured out that no way am I going to live 60-70 years extra and you don`t have to live up to the claim
biggrin.gif
Just kidding, obviously

I'd like to see it again, with a few more writers, Bryain colaborates with Will BRink for instance...he writes some good stuff IMO, and others of course.

I will not pay for it, for the same reason as Peak...but will pay for a copy of HST book (hard cover preferably, but paper back will do if nothing else is available) with lots of ilustrations as per Lol's request!
wink.gif

Perhaps make it a quarterly release?

What I'd like to see is a breakdown of the more interesting recent studies. More writers would be cool.

Personally, if you went the free route and included ads, as long as the advertisements were for products/companies that weren't full of ****, then I'd be ok with that.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Perhaps make it a quarterly release?</div>

Quarterly releases would be much easier to handle. I would love the return of the newsletter.

Quarterly with ads and TDM's idea: forum questions answered by the sciminds. Now boys, that would be some good reading!

<div>
(quadancer @ Dec. 09 2007,19:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quarterly with ads and TDM's idea: forum questions answered by the sciminds. Now boys, that would be some good reading!</div>
Ditto

BTW, Quad you raced back ahead of me in the post count!

Definitely bring it back and add more writers. The more folks who would be writing about the subject TRUTHFULLY, with SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE behind their subject matter, the better. There's just way too much disinformation out there.

I would like to see it again.

The notion of advertisers is vexing:

1. There are free or low cost email distribution methods making a subscriber-paid newsletter easily affordable if at all necessary. Have you looked into RSS feeds?

2. Our crowd is not crazy about supplements. In fact I think as a group we tend to dislike them.

3. Advertisements make the content and seriousness of the newsletter questionable. The only advertisements you could possibly get away with would be those that are remote from bodybuilding. Home gym equipment and weightlifting related books from Amazon or the like are exceptions. Supplements are not. This is not T-nation or M&amp;F. In fact I come here just to get away from all that. Those that are business-minded waste their breath scoffing. I have two degrees, one in business the other in economics. I understand the argument - and I reject it.

If push comes to shove about ads the question becomes what can you sell to HS members? The answer, I think, is anything we could use. These tend to be product ads that inform the customer about a product instead of hyping it with catchy names, labeling, and endorsements. Products that sell themselves need little marketing because their value is truthful and obvious. Examples include, again, home gym equipment and lifting/diet books. Books like Starting Strength get such positive mentions in our forum one could possibly start an HS book club or reading list.

As for the newsletters informative content, I think the reason we liked it so much was because Byran and company brought their academic pedigrees into an otherwise confusing topic and that made all of us better lifters. I'd stick with that tack as a staple of the HS newsletter. Several members have asked for a kind of Q&amp;A section. Listen to the people and put that in too.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2.  Our crowd is not crazy about supplements.  In fact I think as a group we tend to dislike them.</div>

I happen to love supplements. All three of them.

Now sell me some dang T-shirts.

Back