Too weak to do biceps

I

imported_damo

Hi,

I'm just finishing up the 15's and finding my biceps are too weak after training back to train them properly. Does anyone else have this problem? Is anyone leaving them out?

FYI my WO looks like this

leg press
dumbell press
dips
wide grip pulldowns
bent over rows
shoulder press
lat flyes
dumbell curls
dumbell shrugs
skull crushers
calf raises
abs

Maybe I could re-jig it?

Advice appreciated!

Damo

Damo I would definatly train my arms...with at least 1 set.

Are you sure that you are too weak to do them???

Will all do respect there is a difference in being to weak to do them or just being exhausted and not wanting to do them.

My advice would be to increase your rest periouds between sets 30 more seconds and this should help your entire program.

I doubt you are to weak what you are expierence depending upon your level of fitness...is just lactic acid build up which makes your muscle burn and not want to move...but the strength is most likely there.

My 2 cents.

Good luck! and before you know it your body will begin to get use to the higher reps! :D

Yeah, maybe you are right....
I was typing that after getting home from the 6th WO of my 15's, ie. my maxes.
And this is my first cycle after about 9mths off.
Will see how I go in the 10's, more rest sounds good!
Thanks for the input
Damo

I have done complete cycles without any direct arm work and my arms still grew. Actually, if you are incorporating the correct compound movements in your routine, it is not too out of the box to consider any extra arm training superfluous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ June 08 2005,4:50)]I have done complete cycles without any direct arm work and my arms still grew.  Actually, if you are incorporating the correct compound movements in your routine, it is not too out of the box to consider any extra arm training superfluous.
thumbs-up.gif

I agree with baby a. I thought I needed a lot of arm work when I first started HST, but lately I've barely been doing any. Bentover rows, chins, presses all hit the arms in some way. You could try a cycle without any direct armwork, just using compounds like above and see what kind of progress you make.

I got my best arm growth when I did not do any direct bicep or tricep isolation exercises.

Also, look at it this way. If you were training a large body part, such as back, chest or legs, and you worked yourself up to the point where you couldn't do any more work on that part, would you continue? Of course not. So why would you try and continue on a smaller body part, which requires less work, when your other exercises have already exhausted it to the point where you feel you can't do any more? Further work is likely to have more of a negative impact than a positive impact.

Also, I would recommend that you always do your larger body parts first. If, for example, you exhaust your triceps with isolation work before you do your chest workout, you may be cheating your chest out of some of the benefits of the workout due to the exhaustion in your triceps. Let your large body parts exhaust your smaller body parts, not vice versa. You may find that you don't even need to work the smaller ones much or even not at all.

Regarding my above post -- I guess I am learning something here. I know static holds have hit my bis in a way that curls no longer could

Static holds while doing chin up and pull ups. It hurts to even think about them! They put more on my biceps AND forearms than any direct work ever could. Talk about hitting the bicep peak Yowee! I usually do them as the last rep during the exercise. Some of the stuff that Charles Atlas recommended 60 years ago with his Dynamic Tension is just as valid today even with all our fancy machines as it was back then. 
thumbs-up.gif

I'm not using isolation exercises in the cycle I've jsut started (my 4th HST). Instead, I'm focusing on chest, back, shoulders, legs, forearms and calves - I don't consider the latter two isolation, just b/c they need extra work to grow for me).

2 sets of 15s, 3 sets of 10s, 4 sets of 5s is my plan. Loaded stretches will be used as the only isolation technique. Using a drop set/15s set in the 5s for metabolic stress.

Back