Transition from 15's to 10's, less effort?

bandekk

Hi,
I've just finished my first 2 weeks of 15's HST and now moved onto the 10's.
I have found that the first day of 10's seems very easy, which is to be expected I suppose as I have had to drop down the weight (zig zag) in order to get the increments to get to my 10 max in 2 weeks time, incrementing weight at every workout. Its also nice to have a rest as the last workout with the 15's completely drained me.
I think that everyone who does HST has exactly the same issue, but what should I do about this.
1. Just carry on knowing that I will arrive at my 10 max in 2 weeks times
2. Change my workout so I start my 10's using my 15 max and only increment every other workout instead of every one. (have to do this anyway on things like bicep curls anyway)
3. Do more reps, or slow them down to make them harder.
If the idea is to have an increasing workload and decreasing reps over a period of 8 weeks, surely this move from 15's to 10's does not follow HST as the weight is decreasing for a few workouts in the 10's.
Why not just increase the load at every workout until I get to my 5 rep max....or is this complete nonsense. I dont think it would be possible to get a 6 or 8 weeks workout in with this scenario.
thanks for the help
Kev

I've been doing 1 set on 15s, 2 on 10s and 3 on 5s. To avoid zig-zagging you could repeat weights.

But yeah, it will be easier because your doing fewer reps for a similar weight. It'll get increasing difficult as you reach the 10rm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bandekk @ April 18 2005,8:47)]1. Just carry on knowing that I will arrive at my 10 max in 2 weeks times
2. Change my workout so I start my 10's using my 15 max and only increment every other workout instead of every one. (have to do this anyway on things like bicep curls anyway)
3a. Do more reps, or slow them down to make them harder.
3b. If the idea is to have an increasing workload and decreasing reps over a period of 8 weeks, surely this move from 15's to 10's does not follow HST as the weight is decreasing for a few workouts in the 10's.
4.Why not just increase the load at every workout until I get to my 5 rep max....or is this complete nonsense. I dont think it would be possible to get a 6 or 8 weeks workout in with this scenario.
1. Yep
2. You can but I would just do #1
3a. Again you can.
3b. The reduction in weight between the minicycles will have no ill effect on the overall effectiveness. It's the overall trend that's important.
4. You can, but again if this is your first cycle just go with the basics.

Read the FAQs, on

Working with Sub max weight. WHy not train to failure?

Increments

How many sets and how to determine it

Zig Zagging or undulating loads

Back