Used calculator to figure 10 and 15RM gap

KungFuJoe

For those of you who were curious as to how accurate that RM calculator was, as opposed to just manually finding out your 15 and 10RM, I compared it to my own numbers, that I found out manually before I started my first HST cycle.

I'll give a few examples, but the end results were very close and actually seemed to make MORE sense than my own numbers, believe it or not.

Here's some numbers I had, and the ones I got from the calc

MO = manually obtained
CO = calculator obtained

RM - MO - CO
Squat

15 - 120 - 155
10 - 185 - 190
5 - 225 - 225

BB Row

15 - 85 - 114
10 - 135 - 140
5 - 165 - 165

Flat Bench

15 - 165 - 155
10 - 195 - 190
5 - 225 - 225

Deadlift

15 - 135 - 148
10 - 185 - 182
5 - 215 - 215

A couple things I wanted to mention:

The 10RMs obtained from the calculator were VERY close to my own numbers...only being 5lbs off.

The 15RMs...you will see a pretty large discrepancy in my own numbers and the calculator. Most of my numbers were LESS, with the exception of flat bench, which was 10lbs MORE than the calc. HOWEVER, as I stated in an earlier thread, I complained that the 15RM workouts were way too easy...it is quite possible that I didn't correctly obtain my 15RM...it was my very first time doing HST and I had never done 15 reps before in ANY kind of weight training so perhaps I didn't know I could have done more weight at 15 reps. Looking back at my 15RM workouts, I remember that only my flat bench seemed to be a good workout...and now I know why...being one of my favorite, and most used, workouts, I knew how much I could put up 15 times on the flat bench and so I actually went OVER what the calc gave me.

I gave examples of 2 completely different workouts (squat and flat bench) with the same 5RM (225) to illustrate that the variance in how much weight you can put up a specific amount of times doesn't seem to be much over different types of exercises. This is for those who think "just because my 5RM max for legs and chest are the same...does it necessarily mean they will be the same for the 10 and 15RM?". The answer seems to be "pretty much".

Anyways...enough with the mumbo jumbo. The end result is...I'm very satisfied with the calc and will use it to generate numbers for my next cycle. If I find that the numbers are way off, I will let everyone know.

Back