"Vanilla HST" question

The theory is that you should only reach RMs on the 6th day of each mesocycle. Since he is alternating exercises his last day of Squats is on the 5th day and therefore the RM is not used. It is not written in stone. I tried the same method of alternating exercises and had my RMs for some exercises on the 5th day and the RMs for the other exercises on the 6th. The result? Fried my CNS. It can be done, just be on the guard for CNS fatigue buildup.

banderbe, if you are alternating exercises for a bodypart then obviously you will reach your RM workouts with one of the exercises first. If it bugs you then you could do as electric said and do a further RM workout for the alternated exercises. However, if you just keep things going until the end of the 5s you will then be able to continue to increment each session and find your 5RMs for all exercises.

At the end of the day, it's the progression of load and work-done from the start to the finish of the cycle that are more important than any one rep range.

If you alternate which exercises you use to start each cycle with, then you will be doing RM workouts for 15s and 10s for each exercise every other cycle. Hope that makes sense.

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 29 2008,4:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At the end of the day, it's the progression of load and work-done from the start to the finish of the cycle that are more important than any one rep range.</div>
Bingo! After all, the object is to gain size and weight, not simply to set PRs for every training range. If you're gonna set PRs, you'll probably do it during the 5-rep weeks anyhow.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're gonna set PRs, you'll probably do it during the 5-rep weeks anyhow. </div>

I couldn't agree more, since the 5's are for strength mainly, after all we all like to hit PR's, but IMO their function is strength rather than size, although there is that desireable side effect.

Again my opinion is that 8 10 range is better for hypertrophy than the 5's but HST uses all three ranges to attain a comp[lete module of training if you know what I mean.

Like Lol said, it is progression that is important. Just read the FAQs.

When do most people see their gains?
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Please remember that the stimulus for growth has nothing to do with any specific rep count or rep range, but has everything to do with the frequency, progression, and effective SD as per the HST principles. So in theory you should be growing at a constant rate throughout the cycle, but this doesn't always happen due to the way people eat and implement the HST program.

- Blade
</div>

Hitting your PRs on the last days of the rep ranges won't matter as much as progression over the course of the cycle.

Back