vanludwig's first HST program

vanludwig

Hey I just based my workout on the sample workout on the 2nd page of the HST home page, but after reading other posts it seems like theres too many exercises and that I should keep it simpler.

This is the workout done every other day, 3 days a week (s.s = supersetted):

- Squats (2 sets)
- Incline bench (2 sets)
- Dead lift (2 sets) s.s with Dips (1 set)
- Calf raise (2 sets) s.s with w/n chin ups (1 set)
- Bent over row (2 sets) s.s with lateral raise (1 set)
- shoulder press (2 sets) s.s with bicep curl (2 sets)
- shrugs (2 sets) s.s with tricep extension (2 sets)

- abs on off day

What do you guys think, like I said I based it on the sample but do you think it is too much?

What's your logic in the ss pairings? I'm a tad confused as to how you derived 'em that way - and why you have so many. Typically within the HST model, you're hitting your major muscle groups with mostly compounds working in a submaximal fashion for 95% of the cycle. You're spot on that you should keep the cycle simpler - but I'm afraid that the addition of the supersets makes the cycle anything but, and may overtax your CNS as the loads go up. Why don't you stay within your core lifts:

Squats;
Incline Bench;
Deads;
Bent Rows;
Shoulder Press

...and then add iso work as you see fit. Heck - superset dips and chins one day for a metabolic fest using compounds, or curls and tri extensions to play with your arms. If your anterior delts aren't getting the definition you want, do some lateral raises. Bottom line, stick with a core set of lifts for your HST work, and then add others as you need to (as you see fit).

Good luck, regardless - and welcome to the forum.

thanks for your advice _tim. Using what youve told me and doing more reading I have changed the routine to this:

Day A - Squats, Flat Bench, Shoulder Press, Chin up, (Lat raises, shrugs, bicep curls, and tricep ext as needed)

Day B - Deadlift, Incline Bench, Dips, Bent Rows, (Lat raises, shrugs, bicep curls, and tricep ext as needed)

I will alternate between workouts every other day, for cycles of 2x15, 2x10, and 2x5. Are there any holes in this plan, or any suggestions that will help maximize muscle growth? Thank you for your help

I think that's a much smarter plan, vanludwig. The only other suggestion I would make is to possibly extend the 5's if you feel up to it. Your CNS will be a big factor here, so it's nothing you should plan on until you get to that point in the cycle. By "extend the 5's", what I mean is to further progress the loads and either move to negatives, or do a smaller rep target - like 3's or 2's for a couple sets. Recognize that strength is a component of growth - so anything you can do to further your strength within the context of an HST cycle is something I would encourage.

Back