Vicious, can you check the math for me...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't over under only hit one arm? The "under" arm. I guess you would have to do 2 sets. And the one atvantage is that one can go heavier with out straps with an over-under grip (over-under definded as one palm away and one palm facing)

I just alternate session-to-session. I learned the deadlift with the over-under grip; it's the most stable grip for the dead. But if you're using straps, then that's not important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]PS is pulsing at the bottom(most stretched point) of the loaded stretch yeh?
Pretty close. PS is sort of a ballistic movement where you lower the movement quickly at near-stretch, and then "jerk" it to raise the weight. Similar to "true" explosive training. When you do this, it causes a spike with the myotatic reflex rather than a steady increase like the LS. As soon as you feel the sudden contraction, you have to lower the movement slowly against that contraction, and repeat. This lets you have an extremely high eccentric contraction and creates, by far, the most strain in the area. It's also, by default, the most dangerous movement, and one I don't recommend until you're pretty comfortable with LS.
PS though with pulling movements is pretty safe. It's what I'd recommend if you want to add a hightened stretch element to your lats.

The description sounds more complicated than the actual process. The technique between pulsing and pulse-stretching is similar, but different enough in effect to merit different terms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We have a machine that basically simulates a preachers bench. How would this rate as a biceps exercise for doing negs...? (raising the bar with two hands, lowering with one). Infact, how does the preacher bench rate as a bicep exercise overall, just curious....?

Machines that simulate the preacher bench are really peak-contraction movements. They're perfect for pulsing and creating that burn. They're good for negatives (most exercises do if you put on enough load), but you'll notice most of the strain seems to come from the bottom 1/3 of the movement.

Stretch-point negatives are vicious; you feel your muscle is being cut. Because you don't have to worry about lifting the weight anymore, you completely concentrate on accentuating the stretch. I have about a 4-5 week period of post-5s, and sort of treat everything before as a prep for it.

cheers,
Jules

Back