Vicious, few post cycle questions...

cheen

Having just finished my first cycle of HST I am quite happy, however I have a few questions about the negatives period.

Is it best to approach the negs by incrementing beyond your 5RM using the same progression weights you were using during the 5's until you get a your 1 RM (plus four eccentric reps)? How many increments should I try for if I am aiming for a two week negatives period?

Or should I just jump straight to my 2RM for two weeks like I did this time?

I suffered from what I suspect is patellar femoral syndrome (probably related to below parrallel squats) I reduced my leg volume to 3x (upper still 6x) a week and it was always feeling quite bareable by the time the next leg day came around (couldn't feel discomfort during exercise once warmed up). Knees would get sore standing up from seating and slightly crunching later on however.

How should I approach this? Is it ok to train them at this level with slight discomfort experienced during this portion of the program? Should I be reducing my squat ROM? Will this effect leg development?, my glutes are probably a little well developed so I am considering this tho I am not convinced it will help.

Thanks in advance

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it best to approach the negs by incrementing beyond your 5RM using the same progression weights you were using during the 5's until you get a your 1 RM (plus four eccentric reps)? How many increments should I try for if I am aiming for a two week negatives period?

For your first session of post-5s, use the negative load equivalent of your 5RM. Next session, increment. Shoot for increments every 2 or 3 sessions (assuming 3x-a-week scheduling -- if not, then just hold the same load.) You'll hit roughly your 1RM in 2 weeks. If you choose to extend post-5s to 4 weeks (highly recommended), then you shoot for 120% of 1RM.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How should I approach this? Is it ok to train them at this level with slight discomfort experienced during this portion of the program? Should I be reducing my squat ROM? Will this effect leg development?,

Nah, because eventually you'll develop tendonitis in the knees. The depth of your squat ROM may have something to do with it, but it also be affected by your feet placement and choice in shoes. I'd probably wouldn't go as deep with the squats next cycle and evaluate.

I'd also add in leg extensions during 15s and then switch to pulsing through 10s and 5s, probably shooting for 15-20 pulses. Now, you may throw up, but this will further condition the tendons and ligaments.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ June 08 2005,5:53)]Now, you may throw up, but this will further condition the tendons and ligaments.  
cheers,
Jules
Hmmm, I think I remember seeing that study somewhere

The relationship between vomitus and tendon conditioning
Journal Of Vicious May 2005

The relationship between vomitus and tendon conditioning

Vicious, Sid; Strummer, Joe; Morrison, Jim; Shakur, Tupac.

Department of Anger Management, United of Manchester, Manchester, UK.

J Alcohol Physiol 2005 Feb: 98(2): 482-8 Resistance exercise (RE) training. This study measured the relationship between gastric distress and tendon development, using a group of disgrunted hockey fans from 18-35 with a history of knee problems. This was split into a control and test group. Said test group was put on a regimen of 5 sets of 2-minute superslow leg extensions, performed 3x-a-week. Control group was asked to continue soul searching through the hockey-free season.

At the end of 6 weeks, the control group returned spiritually enlightened, yet curiously much heavier with no improvements in their knee condition. Howvever, the test group demonstrated remarkable changes. One member of the test group returned with no knee weakness and in fact set a Canadian record in the mile run. However, his esophagus demonstrated significant erosion, ostensibly from repeated vomiting. Another member demonstrated significant improvements in knee tendon strength through the first 4 weeks, but checked into a bullimia clinic after the 5th. Unfortunately, only two members were able to successfully complete the 6 weeks. Three of them had cardiac arrest and died. One of them gave birth in the middle of the 3rd week. This was particularly remarkable as the member was male; we plan to pursue his case in a future study.

Jules, you made cry on that one
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I might shoot for 2-3 increments over the next two weeks, then give myself a rest, the sports medicine bloke I saw told me it was not tendonitis but patellar femoral syndrome (patellar mistracking) and would require retraining of quads + stretching and a few other things to correct. I am thinking of dropping back squats as glutes seem to grow at 6x the speed of the rest of my leg and going with front squats/deadlifts next time around.

Back