Vicious, just need to further clarify some points

cheen

Ok I've revised the routine based on recommendations you made in your customising thread. Will the additional exercises and intensity techniques I list below cause problems on a 6 day fullbody routine? Am I utilizing too many intensity techniques?

Also, should I be adding a set when I hit the 10's and another set when I hit the 5's/negs? or will this volume be optimal right through?

A) Front Squats B) Deadlifts x 2
A) Leg Curls B) Seated Leg Curls x 2
A) Dips B) Incline DB Press x 2
A) Chins B) Rows x 2
A) Military Press B) Upright Row
A) Rear DB Laterals B) Lying DB Laterals
A) Shrugs
A) Ez barbell Curl
A) Close grip bench
A) Standing Calf Raise B) Seated Calf Raise x 3
A) Crunches

15's
Perform basic routine 6x a week

10's
- Same number of sets
- Replace Ez barbell Curl, close grip bench with
1 Incline DB Curls
2 Skull crushers
- Add 1 set of DB Flys for chest

5's
- Implement loaded stretches for 2nd week of 5's onwards
- one light set of 15's for the first 4 compound exercises done after work sets

Neg's
- Perform two normal reps then 3 negatives on Dips, Chins, Lying Laterals, Inc DB Curls, Flys, Calf Raises (by switching to one leg)
 and skull crushers
- Perform all normal sets, on final set perform 5 rep partials/pulses/statics for Incline Press, Rows, Military Press, Upright rows
- Perform Cluster (targeted reps of 5 for 1 set exercises 10 for 2) Front Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Curls, Crunches
- after all work sets/intensity tech/loaded stretches continue one light set of 15's for first 4 compound exercises
 for metabolic stress, staying away from failure.

Ah I forgot. I'd leave out the seated leg curls altogether. They just suck. :)

The routine looks on mark.

6x-a-week isn't easy; you may want to downshift the 10RM and 5RM max by one increment. If you do the pulses and statics, you don't need to the extra 15s burn sets for those bodyparts. The former accomplishes the same thing as the latter, but moreso. On movements like DB flies and such, you may have to do a compound-pos/isol-neg variation as you approach the maxes.

cheers,
Jules

I assume negatives are still the best option (where possible) what would be the best way to approach them?

Eg Chest

Dips (Incrementing 5% above 5 rep max 6x in 2 weeks)
As many concentrics as possible eg 1-4, using feet to stand up for concentrics to reach a total of 5 reps) x 2 sets

Flys (same) x 1 sets + 10-15 seconds loaded stretch with work weight at end

1 set of dips 15's ( light) or would I be better off using 5RM weight and doing set then straight into + partials + pulses + statics

Eg Back

Rows (Incrementing 5% above 5 rep max 6x or until unable to complete reps)
Clustering to complete a total of 10 reps

Followed by 1 x 5RM set going into 5 partials/pulses/statics with same weight immediately at end of set

or

1 x 15 light rows

Am I better off using clusters, negatives or partials where possible

eg chinups - negatives ?

Whatever is safest, really. I prefer unilateral negatives, but if you have a spotter or support, then that's fine too. Concentric work isn't important when switching over to negatives either, as long as you get in the metabolic work.

For rows and chins, I would just switch over to partials once you hit post-5s (full-stretch to eye-level.) That is, instead of doing 1x5 or 2x5 full-ROM reps, you do 1x5 or 2x5 strong-range partials. That should be enough to get you 4-6 increments right there. Then, I'd perform a few full ROM reps at 5RM just to mantain your strength. Note that this form of partials, for increasing strain and allowing progressive load, is recommended largely for pulling movements.

Also, it's not crucial to increment 6 times during post-5s. Even 2 increments for 2 weeks is well fine at this point. However you get them -- by negatives, clusters, or partial training -- is not that important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 set of dips 15's ( light) or would I be better off using 5RM weight and doing set then straight into + partials + pulses + statics

The latter is more effective, but also much more fatiguing. It's the strength-curve equivalent of a true strip-set, and it burns like hell. I would do the former (just 15s) for now, since it's more conservative.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Followed by 1 x 5RM set going into 5 partials/pulses/statics with same weight immediately at end of set

I'd probably just do the 15s for now. If you wanted to try, though, you would first drop the load by 20-30% (maybe more), then go into the p/p/s. Remember that, unlike pressing movements, your strength is very weak at the point where you can produce the most burn.

cheers,
Jules

Disregard , you pre-empted this question lol.

I get the impression that the partials/pulses method is more sparing to your cns than a straight set of 15's (which is probably good idea with 6x a week volume)

Ok thanks for your help so far, in essence this is where we now stand

A) Front Squats B) Deadlifts x 2
A) Leg Curls
A) Dips B) Incline DB Press x 2
A) Chins B) Rows x 2
A) Military Press B) Upright Row
A) Rear DB Laterals B) Lying DB Laterals
A) Shrugs
A) Ez barbell Curl
A) Close grip bench
A) Standing Calf Raise B) Seated Calf Raise x 3
A) Crunches

10's (Add DB Flys, incline DB Curls, Skullcrushers)

5's
- Metabolic work 15 rep sets for first four compounds
- implement loaded stretches with working weights were possible eg Flys, rows, chins

Neg's

- continue metabolic work as in 5's

Normal Negatives Protocol for: (loaded stretch using working weights at conclusion of last set, then do metabolic work)

Dips
Incline Curls
Skull crushers
Lying and rear DB Laterals
Flys

Cluster (target same reps as 5's): Will use Parillo/DC stretches at end of work sets where applicable

Deadlifts
Front Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Military Press
Upright Row
Calf Raises
Crunches
Shrugs

Strong Range Partials: (2 x 5reps, 1 x 5RM FULL ROM stay away from failure however)
Chins
Rows

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I get the impression that the partials/pulses method is more sparing to your cns than a straight set of 15's (which is probably good idea with 6x a week volume)

Actually, it's the other way around. Partials/pulses generates much higher metabolic fatigue than a straight 15s set. That itself is what you're looking for, but it also means that CNS fatigue is higher. The efficiency (TUL, glycogen usage) is much higher, so by default, if you were aiming for a certain level of metabolic fatigue or burn, the partials/pulses win. But, if you're interested in getting some burn without a big cost, it's probably better to stick to 15s. You'll know what works best for you as you train.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]10's (Add DB Flys, incline DB Curls, Skullcrushers)

Lying laterals as well.

Plan looks pretty perfect. Of course, make sure to eat big, and good luck! :)

cheers,
Jules

ok so leave out lying laterals (stretch point exercise) until 10's, should I just replace rear db flys with this exercise or just alternate them?

Should I be adding a set when I hit 10's and 5's to each exercise to keep the overall volume the same?

eg 3 sets of rows during 10's (30 reps total) instead of 2 and 3 sets of rows during 5's (eg 15 reps total)

Back