Volume-How much is too much in a given workout?

speedy5323

I've been reading the different methods of calculating sets and was wondering how much volume you feel is too much. I currently am doing around 12 excercises as well as a periodization based ab routine that consists of a total of 12 sets. My question becomes when I hit the 5's, the volume seems like it will be through the roof. I am actually thinking of doing abs HST as well, however, I still feel that the volume will be quite high, with the 10's as well as the 5's (doing a 1x15, 2x10, 3x15). Any suggestions, comments are appreciated.

It's a very personal determination but, in general, workouts beyond 45 minutes have been shown to increase cortisol, at least until the body adapts to the long workout. I woud never do an individual workout longer than 15 sets and I actually prefer keeping them under 10 sets and doing an AM/PM split.

I've always heard the 45-60 minute rule of thumb regarding workouts. Would it be safe to say that as long as it fits these guidelines, the actual number of sets are not that crucial?

In broad terms, perhaps, but certainly doing 120 sets in 60 minutes is more catabolic than doing 15 sets in 60 minutes.

What you propose, i.e., doing 36 sets of 5's, presumably at least 3 times per week, is more volume than any natural trainer can do and expect to continue to grow no matter how many workouts it is spread out over or how short they are.

My routine currently has 30 sets, not counting warm-ups, but that includes, abs, reverse situps, forearms and calve press. You count these as part of the 15 ?

May I ask why 15 sets or 60 min max. ?

Don't see myself getting to the gym twice a day, six days a week is questionable.

How to get in 3 days a week for entire body with 15 sets ?

I agree with Old and Grey...I tend to worry about volume sometimes too. Its only normal when you are dedicated but dont forget about HST and its principals. We tend to change HST sometimes until its not HST anymore..lol.

What I normally do when I feel like adding volume but can't for the principals of hst...is I just really concentrate on the quality of my sets ...not quantity. Good luck! :D

Back