• Thread starter imported_doitright orgohome
  • Start date
I

imported_doitright orgohome

hey guys.

heres a quick question or two

i worked out my max's before i sd'd.
sd was 2 weeks. ( on holiday )

on the last day of the 15's my dead lift was 110kg's.

only thing is, i could have done more....
so i did. 3 more reps till i hit form failure !!
almost the same with military press and skull crusher's, give or take a few reps.

so the question is, should i have stopped at 15 ??
and should i adjust the weights for the 10's

many thanks

if 110 was your 15 RM for this cycle, and you went to failure on it by uping the volume, maybe you could just take an extra day off for your CNS to recover, esp since u'd gone to failure with some other excercises also. As long as the load is being incremented in general you are fine, it is ok to hit failure as long as you have enough energy to keep going with the next workout or compensate for fatigue(more rest). That, is up to you

pzhang

so is it not neccesarry to go to failure on the rm set.
is progress primarily due to the change in reps and the gradual increase in weight rather than going to failure on that last set of a specific rep range ??

oh oh. starting to get confused :D

Right. Failure is not necessarliy needed at the end of a rep range. The most important thing is that the load is constantly increasing over time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wwewrestlingguy @ Aug. 23 2005,3:09)]Right.  Failure is not necessarliy needed at the end of a rep range.  The most important thing is that the load is constantly increasing over time.
Failure may not be necessary, but the burn is. You want to make sure you are getting a good burn or pump by the end of your sets for that exercise.

Going over on the last day of 15's isnt really a big deal. All you did was increase the volume by a few reps for one day which won't make much of a difference (as long as on your 10's you stay with 10 reps. (If you go to 12 reps, technically you should do at least 12 on the next workout to keep volume consistent while increasing load, but this is not what you should do). From what I've been told do not add more weight. Stay with your weights for the whole cycle and then you may chose to increase on the next cycle if you feel it was too light (not getting a pump). The main thing is that you cause enough strain to induce muscle growth.

Progress is (funnily enough) due to the progression(/incrementing) of the weight used, with a high frequency (3 times a week or more) over a significant time period (a cycle length)...with deconditioning as required.

If your 15RM for deads is 110kg then doing 18 reps will not gain you anymore hypertrophy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Aug. 23 2005,4:07)]if 110 was your 15 RM for this cycle, and you went to failure on it by uping the volume, maybe you could just take an extra day off for your CNS to recover, esp since u'd gone to failure with some other excercises also. As long as the load is being incremented in general you are fine, it is ok to hit failure as long as you have enough energy to keep going with the next workout or compensate for fatigue(more rest). That, is up to you
pzhang
I notice when I mix things up a bit and work to failure in a 5 rep max full body compound, by my third workout my body is SORE during training and can't even finish off on single set isolations.

I find by then training on the 3rd day, that extra recovery is just whats needed. Legs are always fine though.

What I have decided to do as a mix up in training is, Monday - full body compounds, legs @ 10 reps, upper body @ 5 reps incorporating drop sets, single sets of chosen isolation to finish off.

Wednesday - compound on the legs again @ 10 reps ( failure weight ) all isolation for upper body @ 3 sets to 10 rep failure

Friday - same as Monday

This system is a little "out there" but it helps C.N.S recovery while maintaining max poundage and volume to keep the "environment" alive, and eating big and clean on top of that I find the body weight increase is pumping along. Put on 5 kg in the last 4 weeks.

This post probably has no relevance to this thread, sorry, just noobie's post made sence to the way I have gone about my training lately.

Back