What to put in whey protein shakes?

Joe G

Have you guys ever heard of using juice not milk for pre-workout shakes because whey protein is fast acting and the milk will slow down absorbtion?

If this is true what type of combination would be manageable? I mean chocolate protein powder and orange juice just sounds disgusting to me.

Joe G

I didn't realise people did use milk in their pre-workout whey shake...so in answer to your question I guess yes I have heard of not doing it!

Why not just mix it with water?

Water and I use primer. Milk will slow down the absorbtion of the protein and defeat the major purpose of a PWO shake.
Sphinx.

Im surprised you guys have never heard of guys putting milk in protein shakes... a lot of the tubs even have a column "calories with low fat milk" on the side by the other nutritional information.

The reason I have used milk is because I think it tastes better and you get more protein out of it with milk.

I would like to get more opinions on this....

Joe G

It's good to hear that Aaron... typically I load up on protein via food before workout and have the shake (w/milk) afterwards. Protein powder and just water tastes bad.

If mixing whey protein with milk, won't the whey protein still be absorbed quickly - and the casein protein from the milk slower? Best of both worlds, so to speak?

/ R

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe G @ Sep. 23 2005,1:09)]Im surprised you guys have never heard of guys putting milk in protein shakes...
I meant pre-workout...obviously I have heard of using milk generally!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Sep. 23 2005,1:14)]If mixing whey protein with milk, won't the whey protein still be absorbed quickly - and the casein protein from the milk slower? Best of both worlds, so to speak?
/ R
I'm fairly sure it doesn't work that way....but aaron knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do so if he says it doesn't matter I'm willing to bet it doesn't matter :-D

Personally I wouldn't like milk before a workout because it feels a lot 'heavier' in my stomach, if that makes sense?

As for taste, I guess its a personal thing but I drink unflavoured whey with water and its not that bad, I just get it down quick, after all I'm only drinking it for one purpose and its not to have a pleasant tasting experience!

As aaron said, It`s doesn`t matter with what you take your protein.

But still the thought of mixing protein and milk, not my thing
tounge.gif

Mainly the food I eat during the day is meant for energy so that I can survive. However I do prefer that my food tastes good.

Joe G

I do pre workout shake with milk, creatine and dextrose.
Post workout same without the creatine.
Bed time is protein and milk only and any other time throughout the day.

I like the milk as it tastes better and seems to work for me just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (robefc @ Sep. 24 2005,4:41)]I'm fairly sure it doesn't work that way....but aaron knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do so if he says it doesn't matter I'm willing to bet it doesn't matter :-D
The whey is in the liquid fraction of milk, so when the curd clots the liquid will still be released. It slows it down, but not any great excent and certainly not enough to worry about.
From some the milk work there is biphasic response in amino acid appearance

I was thinking...

Whey protein is protein found in milk.

So why is whey protein absorbed fast and milk absorbed slow apparently?

Joe G

Whey protein is a pure, natural, high quality protein from cow's milk.

Casein is the principal protein of cow's milk. It is actually the curd that forms when milk is left to sour.

Seems we owe the protein to the cows....even the steaks huh.

Joe G

Take the fast protein before training, and a slow protein after for maximum anabolic effect.

Casein is considered a slower protein.
Whey is considered a quicker protein.

Sphinx.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sphinx @ Sep. 27 2005,10:50)]Casein is considered a slower protein.
Whey is considered a quicker protein.
Sphinx.
Doesn't that statement contradict what Aaron said earlier in the thread? Or did I misunderstand?

/ R

Back