Whats the good word on CLA?

Garratt

There seems to be a new CLA, coming to my local health food store with this caption: CLAONE is shown to be consistantly hjigh in C9, t11, and t10, c12 isomers.

Now i've JUST started cutting... is it a good idea to waste my hardearned cash on this stuff.. it's 47.99$ for 1, 90 caplets, of 1000mg.. how many a day, would you say would be an effective amount to take... and does this stuff really work?

so if i took 6 a day, it'd last me 15 days, and cost me 47.99 (canadian funds)

Garratt, there's a much better deal at Kilosport.com right now.  500 gelcaps for about $90, and 1000 for $170.  Much more economical.  I just ordered some myself.  (It's Tonalin -- basically the same as what you described.  50:50 blend of the 9-11 and 10-12 isomers.)

Definitely stay away from other CLAs though.  I've been using high doses (6g/day) of another product with a slightly different composition (it did have some empirical support though), and I haven't leaned out at all.  In fact, it probably made matters worse, since it was an added 12g of fat (50% CLA) a day, or 108 calories.

(Not to mention I had to cap the stuff myself or suffer gutwrenching illness if I took the foul stuff straight.)

Of course, if/when Bry offers HSN CLA, I'll switch over.  ;)  But for now, Kilosport is the way to go.

Just got my CLA order from Kilosports, Garratt. This was the first time I'd ordered from them, so I was a little bit anxious. But no problems at all. It's a great deal.

Jon and Garret,

I have gotten great success throwing in CLA in the following way as I feel it is more of a year-round supplement (as I usually classify a supplements use as either cutting, mass, or maintenance). i don't feel it is anything more than a "body composition" supplement and can be used (which is supported by research as well) during both cutting and mass pahses.

My suggestion is to use it in the following way (if you can afford it):

1. Mass Phase: as high as 10-12 grams
2. Cutting Phase: as low (but no less than) as 1/2 - therefore, 5-6 grams.

Doses seem high? well, maybe but I think there was enough backing for it in the research! Plus considering how truly hard it is to isolate the 2 isomers in question as for the most part you get something standardized to 70% of the 2, the additional guarantees enough of the right isomers to see results. By the way, the research actually indicates you need to use it for a pretty consistent long-term to see the true effects of this supplement.

Hey as far as caories go - simply cut out some more saturates or even omega-6's and throw the CLA in their place and you won't be sorry.

Yeah, Bryan any plans on a CLA supp?:confused:

Yeah, I'm going for 10 caps a day, which should yield about 7.2 to 8.2 grams of CLA.

mass maniac, how do you take your CLA? In a single dose, or spread out? With a meal? Just curious.

Garrat,

I usually eat about 7 meals (incl. post-workout shake) per day and actually take 12 caps - 2 at each meal MINUS the post-workout shake.

Hmmm.... they was a pretty blah way to say that, huh?

I think it can't get more obvious than the following:

Meal one-2 caps
Meal two-none (as this is usually post-workout)...on non-workout days, I continue for none at this meal btw
Meal three-2 caps
Meal four-2 caps
Meal five-2 caps
Meal six-2 caps
Meal seven-2 caps

What does anyone else who uses CLA do as far as dose is concerned? This seems to be hot topic on many forums..and hey if there is a better way than what I currently do, I am game.

Bryan, you got any word on this?

I saw a great deal on CLA at a site called 1fast400.com. $19.99 for 180 1g caps. I don't think it's official "Tonalin", but the composition is the same (50% cis-9, trans-10 and 50% trans-10, cis-12).

This is a much better deal than the one I posted earlier from Kilosports.com. I'll probably resupply from this place.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Garratt @ July 11 2002,6:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There seems to be a new CLA, coming to my local health food store with this caption: CLAONE is shown to be consistantly hjigh in C9, t11, and t10, c12 isomers.

Now i've JUST started cutting... is it a good idea to waste my hardearned cash on this stuff.. it's 47.99$ for 1, 90 caplets, of 1000mg.. how many a day, would you say would be an effective amount to take... and does this stuff really work?

so if i took 6 a day, it'd last me 15 days, and cost me 47.99 (canadian funds)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I just ordered some Optimum CLA which uses CLAone.  90 1000mg caps cost only about $15.99 US from DPSNutrition.

Also, athough it's basically and ad and should be taken with a grain of salt, the following is pdf on CLAone which contains some interesting info:
http://www.pharmanutrients.com/products/cla_one/claOne_brochure.pdf

Looking at the human data only, I think CLA should be more useful minimizing lipogenesis on a mass phase than increasing lipolysis when cutting. It would also, one would expect, be more likely to be incorporated into adipose tissue and cell membranes rather than burned as fuel on a mass phase.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looking at the human data only, I think CLA should be more useful minimizing lipogenesis on a mass phase than increasing lipolysis when cutting. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So, you are saying that CLA is better at preventing fat gain during bulking than burning fat during cutting?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would also, one would expect, be more likely to be incorporated into adipose tissue and cell membranes rather than burned as fuel on a mass phase.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Is this good or bad? I assume its good, as CLA will be able to do its magic if it got into fat cells?

Back