whats your choice for weighted chins

yaniv

my weighted chins are 34kg (75lbs.) for 5`s, my body weight is 82kg (181lbs.); the estimated actual work load (bw+weights-lifting limbs~work load) is about 100kg; that`s enough to do 4-5kg increments, in my understanding.

the problem accrue when taking in to this my other RM`s, which are: 7kg - 15`s; 16kg - 10`s (i`m used to low range reps...)

because of the above, my HST routine makes me go into mid 10`s only with bw chins, and that's just too easy. from your experience, can i safely change my weights/increments or just live it as is? pleas suggest your increments.

15`s: 0,0,0,3,3,7 (or 0,0,3,3,7,7)

10`s: 0,0,4,8,12,16 (or 4,4,8,8,12,16)

5`s: 14,18,22,26,30,34

from the looks of it its seems there is no problem at all (i guess), but its hard for me, not physically of course, to do chins with only my bw (or a bit more) for 1.5 weeks.

thank you for your answers.

edit: did some rephrasing above. from your responses i feel i need to clarify: i meant that the weights for 1.5 week are too easy. and i`m training in my home gym - no pulley.

If you like you could do pull-downs for the first week of 15s so you can do a pile of reps and really get a burn going. That way you can start at slightly less than body weight. However, if you think you could do around 25 reps for chins with your bodyweight then don't bother with the pulldowns. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the progression over the whole cycle that counts most.
cool.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 18 2006,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you like you could do pull-downs for the first week of 15s so you can do a pile of reps and really get a burn going. That way you can start at slightly less than body weight. However, if you think you could do around 25 reps for chins with your bodyweight then don't bother with the pulldowns. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the progression over the whole cycle that counts most.  
cool.gif
</div>
i hit pulldowns for 15's when i hit 10's i do chins.unfortunately when i hit 5's i dont have a weight belt so i either go really heavy on pulldowns or slow my chins way down.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">did some rephrasing above. from your responses i feel i need to clarify: i meant that the weights for 1.5 week are too easy. and i`m training in my home gym - no pulley. </div>

i understand i should go for burn with bw chins, up to mid 10`s. so if someone can only do 10 kg weighted chins, he will probably go up to 5`s with bw chins... not changing he`s increments?
i saw an exsample of HST routine, when RM10 is only 10lbs and even then the 10`s are done with weights at mid week, just like me - but i`m far more advanced then the hypothetical trainee in the example. i guess that has something to do with my calculated work load in chins (bw-lifting limbs+weights=wl).

OK, if you have a bodyweight of 181lbs and you can add 75lbs for 5s then that would give a combined 256lbs. If that's your 5RM then a guess at your 1RM would be 288lbs or 107lbs over bw.

If you started your 15s with around 55% of 1RM that would give you around 160lbs as your starting weight, which is quite a bit less than your body weight. In fact you will be starting at about 63% of your 1RM if you start with bw. I would just do what you are doing this cycle if you can't use a pull-down machine. It isn't going to hurt.

Slow the reps down if you want to make them seem a bit harder and make sure your form is really strict.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 18 2006,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Slow the reps down if you want to make them seem a bit harder and make sure your form is really strict.</div>
And that is the easiest solution. No muss. No fuss. No fancy machines to assist. Just plain old common sense. Works every time, eh?

Back