When on vacation...

cedfav

Good day,

when it's impossible to go to the gym or have access to weights on a specitic workout day, what is most recommended :

- simply skip that workout
- postpone that workout to the next one, and consequently bring the whole cycle forward
- replace it by a bodyweight workout (if the answers is this one, thanks for telling how to make it)
- any other option?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers

Skip the workout or post pone it. You can always just workout the next day too. If you normally go Mon, Weds, Fri, it is fine to do Mon, Thurs, Fri if you can't lift on Weds. All in all, as long as it is an isolated incident, it won't matter a whole lot which option you choose.

Thanks Totentanz for the quick answer. I need some precisions though.

Supposing I normally go Mon, Weds and Fri and that I exceptionally can't work out on Fri.

- Which workout am I supposed to use on the next Mon: the Fri one I couldn't do or the Mon one I would normally have to do?
- Choosing the second option (skipping it instead of postponing it) leads me to do a workout with heavier increments that I normally would have to use. What about that?
- Is it releveant to replace the Fri workout by a bodyweight workout (exercises done to failure)?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers

Like I said, it's not going to matter a whole lot whether you skip the workout completely, postpone it or whatever. As long as missing the workout is an isolated incident, it is going to have almost zero effect on your ultimate progress over the course of the cycle. But... I will answer each of your bullets anyway.

1. Doesn't matter as long as you're not at the end of a block and doing your RM workout. Do one or the other. I would just skip Friday entirely if you aren't going to be lifting at all.

2. Doesn't matter. Heavier increments on Monday are fine. You won't immediately die or anything.

3. I personally would not waste my time doing bodyweight stuff in lieu of a real workout.

Seriously though, why not just lift Thursday instead of Friday before you go on vacation, so you don't miss a workout at all and can keep yourself from worrying about it so much? The long weekend will provide plenty enough recovery. I think worrying out the particulars too much is going to cause you more of a problem than missing one workout. You do know that stress can raise cortisol, right? Cortisol can be bad for muscles. So stress is bad for muscles. Ergo, worrying about things too much is bad for muscle growth. So don't worry too much, you will be fine.

Back