When to Find Your RM?

K

Key Of David

When do you guys usually recommend finding your RMs for say your 15s, 10s, and 5s?

If you've been deconditioned for over a year, would you just warm up the joints et al and go at it setting your 1 RMs (like say after a month when they are good and ready) or would you go heavier and spend say a month on strength training, maybe getting your RMs a few lbs more before you set them for the next cycle?

What I would do in your situation is just go to the gym and find out your 15 rep maxes in various lifts.  Once you find the 15 rep maxes, you can use one of those weight calculators to figure out your 10s, 8s, 5s, etc.

The calcs are all over the internet, here's one: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

They won't be 100% accurate, but will give you a pretty good idea of what to shoot for until you find out for yourself.

Thanks for the link Steve! I bookmarked it for later.

I've already "set" my RMs for the bench press, close grip bench press, military press, and barbell curl.

I'm just very anxious to start my next cycle and have been cautious about warming up the joints, etc.

I've already gotten some muscle back (muscle memory?) and look like I've gained a good bit of it. In fact I have gained 3 lbs (and have lost my gut, so its not fat) since I started the "warm up" sessions.

People are already asking me have I gained weight. All that does is tease me more to start the next cycle NOW! hehe
laugh.gif

Back