When to start HST?

Ineax

Here's my situation:
I have just started training after not beining in the gym for nearly two years. When I was "training" over 2 years ago it wasnt very organized. I worked at a YMCA as a lifeguard and popped into the gym on lunch breaks. Basically I am trying to convey that I havent much experience with any training program at all.

I am very skinny and trying to put on some mass. I am 6'1 187lbs. Actually just two weeks ago I weighed 180lbs, I have already put on 7 lbs which im stoked about. I think that is due to my new eating habbits.

So I want to start on a specific training program, through the little bit of research I have done, HST really appeals to me. What I am curois about is when to start an HST program. Like I said, I've only been going to the gym for about 3 weeks and I am noticing that the weight that I can lift is increasing every week. I am guessing this means that I was very weak.

My question is, should I continue working out for a while the way i have been to "Condition" my body more before I start an HST program, or should I go-a-head and start planning out the HST program and jump into it now?

Thanks

If this has been addresed in a previous post I apologize for the repost, but I couldnt find it.

Well,

TO be honest I don't see why you could not just jump into it right now.

Just be aware that when if your RMs aren't that high you will need to adjust progression a little.

if you goto this article Rigleys HST Principles description that should give you an idea of how to setup your weights etc.
or this thread it will also give you an idea. If you look at one of Fausto's posts in the thread, he attached a pretty decent spreadsheet to plan out your cycle.

Best of luck...remember patience. And Eat Steak!

<div>
(Ineax @ Jul. 27 2007,07:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What I am curois about is when to start an HST program.</div>
You just have to ask yourself: How soon do I want to start growing regularly, reliably, and consistently?

There's not a lot of point in just banging around a gym, doing curls one day, presses another, and getting all sorts of superstitious advice from others who are also just banging around.

HST is a set of principles based on science. It works regularly, reliably, and consistently. Go to the Simplify and Win thread and set up your program today!

<div>
(AKUFADUM @ Jul. 27 2007,08:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just be aware that when if your RMs aren't that high you will need to adjust progression a little.</div>
This was exactly my concern, that my RMs would increase greatly before completeing a cycle.

If this occurs should I change my RMs mid-cycle (which I don't think is the correct thing to do) or should I follow the advice in the thread you posted to me and readjust before I begin my 2nd.

<div>
(Ineax @ Jul. 27 2007,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(AKUFADUM @ Jul. 27 2007,08:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just be aware that when if your RMs aren't that high you will need to adjust progression a little.</div>
This was exactly my concern, that my RMs would increase greatly before completeing a cycle.

If this occurs should I change my RMs mid-cycle (which I don't think is the correct thing to do) or should I follow the advice in the thread you posted to me and readjust before I begin my 2nd.</div>
Since this is your first cycle apply the same logic to it.

But if your RMs increase greatly during the cycle...
I think it wouldn't hurt to adjust accordingly. I personally have never had to do it. Maybe someone here has.

But I don't see why it would be a problem. You would still be following the core principles so, really I am not sure if it would benefit or impede your progress. Some of the HST vets may be able to answer that.

Yeah, there is no point in waiting to start HST.

If you find that your RM's are going to be way off part way through a cycle I think you have two options. You can adjust accordingly and stay on the 2 weeks per block you planned or you could just extend each 2 week block into 3 or 4 weeks...whatever it takes to work up to your actual RM's. Obviously the second option would extend your cycle a few extra weeks, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Seems like its time to go to the chalk board and plan out my 1st cycle.

Wish me luck!
smile.gif

Back