where are all the old gyms

Nice vid of a normal gym; I loved the music. The old iron pits are disappearing around here for the glitz, but there is a periodic transition that is pretty cool: some PL gyms with nice equipment have sprung up you can join w/o even being a PL. That means you can bang stuff, grunt, yell or do whatever it takes for you to perform.

Dey got chalk too.
cool.gif

most of the proper gyms around manchester seem to be going,its all fitness first etc,they do have some good equipment,but not enough ie one squat rack,one oly-bench,not enough oly bars,and the guys that use them dont have the lifting etiquete ie curling in squat rack etc.

Hardcore guys are all becoming cellar-dwellers, like me and quadancer. I haven't stepped foot in a commercial gym in years. Instead I bought a lifetime membership to a private gym.....in my garage.
cool.gif

Temple Gyms, which are pretty 'hardcore', are scattered throughout the UK....not one in Manchester? What about Omalleys in Warrington?

<div>
(stevejones @ Jun. 03 2008,3:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Temple Gyms, which are pretty 'hardcore',  are scattered throughout the UK....not one in Manchester? What about Omalleys in Warrington?</div>
that one in the you tube above is only 5miles from me but the traffic from manchester into salford comes to a halt on the mancunnian way its a joke,warrington is to far.
at the moment the gym i go to has a smith machine with oly weights,and an ordinary spinlock bar with plastic weights,so when i do deads i have to put on a plastic 10k each end then the oly 20s,everyone gives me weird looks
laugh.gif
its not a lifters gym really.

sci it would be great to have a cellar to have a gym in
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

There's one real hardcore gym where I live in Karlskrona, Sweden. There's people wearing real olympic lifting clothes, lots of chalk and even weightligting competitions with different divisions. There's also more free weights than machines. Pretty old stuff, but they do what they're supposed to do.

I used to train there a couple of years ago, but since my job pays for my training at another gym I switched. I miss the place sometimes. There's more room for grunting, yelling and sweating and less room for fancy clothes, energy drinks and makeup.

Cellars are great. The gym I used to go to 20 years ago as a student was a hardcore dungeon, deep underground but with high vaulted brick ceilings. It was a reused wartime armaments depot or something. All the bars and weights were rusty from the humidity and I loved the smell of the place; you just knew something brutal was about to happen. One time I couldn't get up the stairs to leave after a particularly tough leg session (must have read a Platz article). I had to get some help and then my usual 30 min cycle ride home took the best part of an hour and a half! Boy, were they good times or what?  
biggrin.gif

I now have a house with a cellar which will be a gym one day. I want to be able to do overhead stuff though so I'm going to have to get it excavated an extra foot first. Right now my rack and lifting gear are all in my kitchen/diner; I had to shift it all out of my old weight room as I need to lay a new solid floor in there. Rather than cardio I'm planning on doing all the work myself if I can get the time.

ELIMINATE MAINSTREAM PRETTY PINK DUMBBELLS!!!!!!!!

i know, i KNOOOW they are very pretty and alluring and as soon as you LOOK at them you want to sit on a Swiss Fitschmit Ball and do seated DB Overhead Extensions with a massive acted grin on your face, but RESIST THE TEMPTATION PEOPLES!!!
wow.gif
That might target fatty areas and get them toned up and firrrrrmer!
wow.gif
wow.gif

Back