Whey and Casein Protein

Discussion in 'Anything and Everything about dietary supplements' started by Dan94, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Dan94

Dan94 New Member

Hi guys

Just wondering what Whey and Casein proteins you use.

I usually use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey and also their Casein product for before bed, but they're both quite pricey compared to other places.

I recently bought a Diet Whey Isolate from "The Protein Works" and realised it doesn't have half the stuff the ON God Standard Whey has such as 4g of Glutaminte, 5g of BCAA's etc... and also the "Bedtime Fuel" protein they recommend is just a blend of concentrate and isolate of Whey, no slow digesting Casein.

What protein powers do you use/recommend? Looking for some kind of Whey with those extra BCAAs and Glut in and a slow digesting protein for night time, like a Casein.

Cheers :)

2. The Amino Acid profile found on the label for some protein products is misleading... make sure the amino profile is based on a single serving and not another arbitrary amount.

You can't go wrong with Optimum Nutrition. I also use Dymatize products though they are not really any cheaper.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

'Digestion time' is really quite irrelevant for hypertrophy purposes.

Also, if you want BCAA's and Glutamine, just eat more steak.

4. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

If you want to slow down digestion time, just make sure your stomach is not completely empty when you take in protein. Unless you've been fasting for 16-24 hours, I doubt it will be empty. The contents of your stomach will effect digestion time.

5. Bulldog

Bulldog Active Member

You can also just add some extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to your shake and the fat will help slow the digestion of the whey protein.

6. I second the use coconut oil. Very high concentration of Medium Chain Triglycerides. It's all "good fat."

7. Brixtonian

Brixtonian Active Member

I do all my cooking with coconut oil!

Even smells great when I burn it!