which workout do I do?

dingo4740

I am knew to this, I have been doing the other kind of work out and I was seeing nice results. I was reading this and there are two samples of workouts?

So which one do I use? Should I use this? I am looking to get bigger.

Thanks
Dingo

I am knew to this, I have been doing the other kind of work out and I was seeing nice results. I was reading this and there are two samples of workouts?

So which one do I use? Should I use this? I am looking to get bigger.

Thanks
Dingo

I'd like to help Dingo, but I'm not sure where to start answering your question. I bet you'd benefit a lot from reading the 'simplify and win' thread stickied at the top of this forum page.

HST helped me grow. It has been the most effective program for hypertrophy that I've used so far. But I've not tried them all and I was never serious about gaining mass until I started HST. Getting bigger has a great deal to do with your caloric intake. If you do HST and eat 500 - 1000 kcals over maintanance, you will get bigger and stronger.

What other kind of workout were you doing before? Do you know the name?

Thanks for the response Whistledixie. I was doing a routine that I got from Muscle Mag, working one muscle group a day and doing 4 sets with 8-12 reps.

I def. want to gain mass that's why I went that route but a friend of mine told me about this and I am trying it now. Doing two sets of ten every other day.

I will read it, again thanks.

Thanks for the response Whistledixie. I was doing a routine that I got from Muscle Mag, working one muscle group a day and doing 4 sets with 8-12 reps.

I def. want to gain mass that's why I went that route but a friend of mine told me about this and I am trying it now. Doing two sets of ten every other day.

I will read it, again thanks.

Some routines in muscle mags are on point and some are really a huge waste of time. If you are at all new to bodybuilding, HST will give you great results. But, unfortunately, being new to bodybuilding makes it harder to come up with a good routine for yourself because the literature is all about the principles of the program, not necessarily a 'do this, do that' explanation. And it pretty much begs customizations because the principles can be applied in any way that best suits your lifestyle, preferences, and goals.

You'll need to pick your exercises first. You need to chose 1 for each major bodypart. What lifts do you like? Or what goals do you have, which will help us help you decide which lifts to chose?

OK here is what I do now Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or Sunday depending on work schedule.

2 sets 10 reps

Squat - alternating days Leg Press
Dead lift - Alternating days straight leg
Leg curl

Bench (flat)
Inline DB

Chins- Smith machine
Rows or Lat pull down

Shoulder Press
Delt (rear)
Lateral Raise
Shrugs

Bis 3 sets 2 DB 1 Cable
Tris 3sets 1 DB 2 Nose Crushers

Calves

Abs or Cardio depending how I feel

OK here is what I do now Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or Sunday depending on work schedule.

2 sets 10 reps

Squat - alternating days Leg Press
Dead lift - Alternating days straight leg
Leg curl

Bench (flat)
Inline DB

Chins- Smith machine
Rows or Lat pull down

Shoulder Press
Delt (rear)
Lateral Raise
Shrugs

Bis 3 sets 2 DB 1 Cable
Tris 3sets 1 DB 2 Nose Crushers

Calves

Abs or Cardio depending how I feel

3 days a week is perfect for HST. Here's what I'd pick out of those lifts:

Session A
Squat
Bench
Shoulder Press
Chins
Nose Crushers (I'd prefer dips)
Abs

Session B
Deadlift
Bench
Shoulder Press
Rows
Nose Crushers
Calves

Alternate A & B:

Week 1 - Tues A, Thurs B, Sat/Sun A
Week 2 - Tues B, Thurs A, Sat/Sun B

You'll need to test your 15RM (rep max), 10RM, and 5RM for each of those exercises. After you have your RMs, take 9 - 14 days off from any physical exertion so that your muscles can decondition. This is important so that your sessions will be most productive for muscle growth from day 1.

The first 2 weeks you do 15 reps for every lift
Weeks 3 & 4, you do 10 reps for every lift
Weeks 5 & 6, you do 5 reps for every lift
Weeks 7 & 8, your choice: a) keep doing 5 reps and try to push for new, higher rep maxes on your lifts; b) do negatives or drop sets; or c) drop to even lower rep scheme like 3 reps and work up to a 3RM

The default set selection is 1 set for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, 3 sets for 5s

There are 6 sessions for each 2 week rep scheme. Here are the loads for the 2 week series:

Session 1 - 75% of RM
Session 2 - 80% of RM
Session 3 - 85% of RM
Session 4 - 90% of RM
Session 5 - 95% of RM
Session 6 - 100% of RM

If you have a lift, like the nose crushers where breaking the increments down that small is not practical, you can double up and just go 80% - 80% - 90% - 90% - 100% - 100%

I think I've covered the basics of the default version of HST (some call it the vanilla method). Like I said before, HST can be customized infinitely, so if something above doesn't work for you adjustments can be made. But the principles of HST - progressive load, frequency (3x a week), time-under-tension, and strategic deconditioning are the key to maximize your growth. Hope this helps!

Back