Who says HST isnt for strength

Spyke

Well I have been training with HST only for I guess maybe a year and a half now. During my 5's and negs I have tried to do the one time bench max and I think I got up to around 315 but it was without a spotter (or an old guy spotting) so I never wanted to push things. Yesterday a couple guys were doing a max bench thing at the gym and they asked me if I wanted to go. They had 365 on the bench and since there were two of them to spot I said OK. I was sure I couldn't bench that much but I put it up without much problem so I probably could have done another 15 or 20lbs easy.

I am totally shocked here. I am 6'2' 230 and maybe 18%bf, biceps are 17 1/4". I may be close to a 400lb bench press but I always figured I would have to be a total beast to get that strong.

Good work!
smile.gif

Well done! In fact HST uses a the 5 series for 4 weeks which is not only for hypertrophy but it is well inthe strength range.

So much for that!
wink.gif

I think I may have bigorexia
laugh.gif

When I look in the mirror I still see someone who is just starting to show results. I actually feel like I am a small guy. I will just keep plugging away.

<div>
(Spyke @ Nov. 21 2006,21:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I got up to around 315 but it was without a spotter (or an old guy spotting) so I never wanted to push things.</div>
Pansy.      
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
ghostface.gif

Spyke: Great lifting but, like Faz, I just hope you take a great deal of care with any max lifts. A torn pec is not something you want to experience and will set you back for ages. It's nice to know what you can actually do but as you get stronger it does get more risky trying for max weights.

I reckon good form is your best protection. A lot of folks get really sloppy when they try for max singles which is just the time when you need to be really careful.

Anyways, I am really jealous of your 365lb lift!
biggrin.gif

Who says, &quot;HST isn't for strength&quot;? I do. It's for hypertrophy. However, anyone who says it won't make you strong is plain silly. There is no way that 4 weeks of 5's or 2 weeks of 5's and 2 weeks of 3's or negatives could fail to make you stronger.

Back