Why do my Friends grow. And Im not?

aGGe

I have trained with the HST principle for a year now..

havent increased my bodymass very much..

now,
most of my friend always train to failure and only train one musclegroup once a week...

old fasion style. completly against HST...

hence, they still grow faster than me. arms are swelling up. No steroids in use, I guarantee..

WHY DONT I GROW?

post your routine and your diet(detailed) so we can have a look.

Diet...

And it is disregarded by many...genetics!!!

I have a much better diet than my training partner, we both train the same schemes, yet he's improving a lot faster than me (as is everybody else for that matter :p)

I just live with it, and try to be better by knowing more...

(I sooo hope HST will help me more :p)

To elaborate a bit - if your training method was at fault, then you should be getting fat instead of gaining muscle. If you are not getting fat or gaining muscle, then your diet is at fault. You said you are not growing, so I would guess that you aren't gaining fat either. That would imply that you aren't eating enough.

Remember, to gain muscle, you have to eat over maintenance calories. Some people think all they have to do is workout and they will start gaining mass, but the most important factor is how much you eat. So... start packing in more food. If you aren't gaining or losing weight, then you're probably eating around maintenance right now, so start keeping track of your calories and add 500 calories a day to see if that works for you. If you still aren't gaining any weight at all after that, add another 250 calories each day until you do start to gain weight.

Good luck.

thumbs-up.gif
What he said.

If you gain no weight, your diet sucks.

If you eat healthy and gain weight, but it's all fat, your training sucks.

As a side note, I'd just like to add that I always find it funny when someone is raving about some protein powder and how it helped him to gain 10 lbs. of pure muscle, but he didn't make any gains with the protein powder he'd used before (which is virutally identical) because it was an "inferior" product. First of all, the jug only weighed 5 lbs. Therefore the absolute maximum amount of weight he could gain by taking it would be 5 lbs. Furthermore, the only reason he gained 10 lbs. is because he got his act together and got his diet in order. Maybe it's just me, but I always find it funny when people try to attribute gains like this to a particular protein powder and not to their diet.

I'm going tell you this and I know most people will not be to happy about it ... I too have used HST for quit sometime.  I've done 3 full cycles and 1 extended cycle.  I did nothing but lose lose lose lose the intire time I was on the basic HST routine.  "YOU HAVE TO PERSONALIZE IT!"

For instance ... I through rep count out the window.  I do use my 10Rm and 5RM loads ... but instead of only performing 10 and 5 reps ... I do as many reps as I possible can.  Sometimes its only 10 reps with my 5rep loads and sometimes it 20reps+.  Obviously I'm using my old/previous RMaxes, and when I start over I will have to recalculate everythhing, but my point is I have been training dang near to failure ... AND I"M GROWING!  Training to subfailure didnt work for me.  So I switched it up.

Also, I dont SD anymore ... screw the SD.   Everytime I SD i would lose 5lbs to 10lbs.  I was always gaining, then losing ... just to gain back what I lost next cycle.  I was getting no where.  Instead, I "cruz."  When its time to take a break or I see a slow in gains, I step back a little bit, dropping load just slightly and cruz for a couple weeks (4 to 6 weeks).  This is not a time when one should focuse on gaining, but simply maintaining.

I found keeping a log with me at all times and recording every lift, load, and rep helps as well.  The follwing workout I try to either increase load or increase rep by at least 2.  If I cant increase load, I try to increase the number of reps - and vise versa.  The log really helps me keep track of where I stand.  It helps me from taking those steps backwards ... which is what I was doing with HST (2 steps forward, seemingly 3 steps backward).

So although I still impliment HST principles into my routine, It is completely customized for my needs.  I like to think of it as a mix between DC and HST, which are kinda similar routines anyway.

My routine is a 2on/1off/2on/2off upper/lower split.  I workout 4 days a week - each muscle group 2x a week with the exception of arms which are worked both directly and indirectly.    The routine is Monday/Thursday: Chest, Back, Traps, light shoudler work.  Tuesday/Friday: Legs, Arms, & whatever I missed for shoulders during the previous day.  The volume is a little higher than most HST routines, and frequency a little lower, but it works for me.  Even though assisted, I've made phenominal gains this round.

Find out what works for you!!!

Seems alot like DC training, with very little HST. but if its working its working.
oh and
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even though assisted, I've made phenominal gains this round
What do you mean 'even though'. surley its the reason behind 'phenominal gains.

Only the most genetically gifted natural lifter can survive a program tailored to take advantage of hormonal assistance. However, note that the key word, as Mr. N was saying, is "tailored."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (duffman @ May 26 2005,12:09)]Seems alot like DC training, with very little HST. but if its working its working.
oh and
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even though assisted, I've made phenominal gains this round
What do you mean 'even though'. surley its the reason behind 'phenominal gains.
As I mentioned, its a little of both - DC & HST. Maybe your right though ... could be a little more DC. Who really cares though.

Even before I was assisted I was seeing gains with this routine ... it fits me better. I've always responded well to more volume. With the routine I was previously talking about, I get more volume more frequenctly. It just works. Being assisted definitely helps right now, but I can definitely say I would not have obtained the gains I have thus far with a regular HST routine, assisted or not.

Back