Why no flat bench?

stergulc

Just wondering why everything I've read on hst doesn't include a flat bench press.

Also, in the last two weeks how many drop down sets should be completed per each exercise?

And.... can pull-up weight assisted machines work for pull ups/chins? I can't do enough body weight pulls ups to progress through each two week cycle.

Thanx for any input.

I dunno, I think most of us include the bench press or some variation in our workouts.

Drop down sets...? Your call.

Wuss-assist machines for chins and dips -- Bingo! That is far and away the easiest way to increase your pull-up and chin strength until you are able to use your full body weight. Calculate the necessary assist and then decrease it by 5 lbs or so per workout until you get down to no assist at all.

Thanx for your advice. Do you think you could give my workout a quick once over and give me your thoughts before I start it? I'd appreciate it.
Routine done every second day depending on my work schedule ( 2 weeks of 15, 2 weeks of 10, 2 weeks of 5 followed by......2 weeks of I don't know yet).

Leg press x 2

Bench x 2
Incline Bench x 1
Dips bw x1

Pull ups x 2
Smith rows x 2

Smith military press x 2

Preacher curl x 2

Skull crusher x2

When I was previously doing just Incline Bench it was to hit both my Chest and Front Deltoids more equally w/o having to do separate exercises for both. Now that I’m splitting my routine I alternate between Flat Bench and Standing Shoulder Press. So my rationale at the time was just to keep the number of exercises down until I knew I could handle more.

Thanx for your advice. Do you think you could give my workout a quick once over and give me your thoughts before I start it? I'd appreciate it.
Routine done every second day depending on my work schedule ( 2 weeks of 15, 2 weeks of 10, 2 weeks of 5 followed by......2 weeks of I don't know yet).

Leg press x 2

Bench x 2
Incline Bench x 1
Dips bw x1

Pull ups x 2
Smith rows x 2

Smith military press x 2

Preacher curl x 2

Skull crusher x2

Well, I'm just a simple guy with simple tastes. It's hard to know how to recommend a routine without knowing your current general conditioning and the sort of equipment you have available.

Personally I try to base every routine around squats and deadlifts. That's where the power and size comes from. Next I look for bench and row, then chins and dips. Compund exercises seem to give the most size and strength returns for the time and effort put in.

I do skull crushers and preacher curls sometimes, and an occasional tricep pushdown, but I consider these to be "extras" -- frills that can be dropped out when the weight on the big lifts starts to get heavy.

You might want to take a look at the Simplify & Win thread. Fausto has been very helpful there.

Best,

the set up recommended to me by Brian himself was

Decline Bench
Pull ups
Biceps
Deadlift
Shoulder press
Calve raises
Triceps

then i added in shrugs and abs at the end

i had great gains and success with this, the decline bench hits delts alot less that flat and definitely a lot less than incline.

the set up recommended to me by Brian himself was

Decline Bench
Pull ups
Biceps
Deadlift
Shoulder press
Calve raises
Triceps

then i added in shrugs and abs at the end

i had great gains and success with this, the decline bench hits delts alot less that flat and definitely a lot less than incline.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Decline Bench. I’ve been doing Incline and switched to alternating between Flat Bench and Shoulder Presses but my front deltoids are still getting hammered.

Back