Will try 9daySD after this 3rd cycle.

zoomz

Just finishing a 2 week SD and I realized that I have an extremely hard time focusing on a good diet for the 2nd week; :confused: first week Sd no problem. Next cycle (3) I will do only 1 week off (9 days Sat-Sun).

I am just beginning my second cycle and had great success with the first one!
thumbs-up.gif
I am also recommending this program to any friend that will listen I have been thinking of doing that as well on the next SD for the same reasons. Has anyone else had luck with doing a shorter SD?

Yes, I much prefer a shorter SD. I just lose far too much muscle in two weeks, to the point where I find am spending most of the next cycle just trying to get back to where I was at the end of the previous one. Over the course of about 20 cycles I have found that, for me, 7 days is sufficient for my muscles to decondition to the point where I am getting mildly sore from the lighter workouts again.

I think that everyone is different regarding how easily they can hold on to muscle in the absence of training. I have always had a hard time hanging on to my gains, even when keeping the calories high, so for me it makes sense to keep my SD as short as possible.

Rob

I prefer 14 days at a minimum. I just came off a 23 day SD--not all of it planned however. Only 18 days were planned.

O&G, did you notice during your SD

1. Loss of size? If so how much?
2. DOMS when returning? If so how bad?
3. Strength Deficit? If so, how bad?
4. Rebound Effect? If so how much?

Just curious :D

Dan

1. None
2. Slight Doms
3. I am not sue since I started back with 15's. I surpassed my
previous maxes on the 15's so I don't think I lost any strength or, if I did, I regained it back the first week.
4. Not sure what you mean by rebound effect but I suspect #3 answers that question.

Well actually 1. answered it. Since you didn't lose any size to speak of then there was no rebounding in size. Hey thanks for the answers and being honest
thumbs-up.gif

I am very jealous of anyone who can take over three weeks off from training without losing significant muscle mass. If I have a break that long, I can expect to lose about 8-9 lbs of lean mass (this translates to about an inch on my arms), and it then takes me a couple of cycles to get back to where I was!

Rob

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Eat more.

I eat plenty during my SD. Notice that I said that I lose 8-9lbs of lean mass over the course of 3 weeks. I also put on a significant amount of fat - my actual weight does not change by much. And all this happens while keeping my protein at around 300g per day. Over the years I have become forced to accept that my body just doesn't like to hold on to the muscle that I have built, as I have always lost it far more rapidly than anyone else I know.

Rob

RSS, you must need shorter SD's than I do. Actually having 3 weeks SD was nice but it did make it much harder mentally to get back in the groove. I will be keeping them to 14 to 16 days in the future.

Would you consider yourself a well seasoned/conditioned lifter? If not you are in luck. I`m into my 4th cycle and am coming from many years away from weights. I`m sure if my joints could hold out (they never do though) I could continue my gains beyon 8 weeks. Are you stopping at 8 weeks and if so is it because of joint pain, you`ve stopped growing or just because your going by the HST book? You may want to see if you can extend your cycle a bit. O&G has done more than a dozen cycles which would probably explain why he needs a longer SD.

O&G, what`s the shortest SD you`ve ever done?

I just started the current cycle after a 9 day SD and I still get very good DOMS. Provided your not too well conditioned, I think it should be fine. Post your results!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]O&G has done more than a dozen cycles which would probably explain why he needs a longer SD

I have done around 20 cycles, but can get away with a very short SD (about 7-8 days), after which I feel sore from the light weights again. I have experimented with cycles of all different lengths, and even after the very long ones I only seem to need a short SD. There just seems to be a lot of variation from person to person in how long it takes for the muscles to become re-sensitised to the training stimulus.

Rob

Ooops. From your first comment it sounded like you were on your 3rd cycle. Impressive if you can SD for such a short period after going for so long. Have you ever extended your cycle and if so which was the most recent.

I think you are getting me mixed up with zoomz, the person who started this thread.

But to answer your question, yes, my most recent cycles have been much longer - the last one was around 12 weeks. I much prefer a longer cycle, mainly because of the fact that I lose muscle and strength so rapidly during SD, so it makes sense for me to wait as long as possible before doing so. With a shorter SD, I have been much more successful in holding on to my gains, and have still managed to achieve adequate deconditioning for the start of the next cycle.

Of course I am not suggesting that this is what everyone should do, as some people definitely seem to need a longer SD, and are also more able to hold on to their gains for a longer period in the absence of training.

Rob

Goal, the shortest SD I ever did was 7 days and that was in the beginning of my starting HST. It wasn't long enough. Now I find 14 days to be needed. My longest cycle was 8 weeks but I prefer shorter cycles now of 4 to 6 weeks. I am currently in my 19th cycle and still as enthused as I used to be. However, I have probably come fairly close to my potential so I am doing some specialization now. I would not recommend that for a beginner but I think I can pack another inch onto my chest via back work and can inprove my traps. I was born with a long skinny neck which is not conducive to massive traps. I agree with RSS in that the amount of SD a person needs is highly individualistic depending on age, level of conditioning, fast vs. slow twitch muscle fiber make up, length of cycles, diet, etc.

Back