Working weaknesses

Sci

Recently I have been thinking about the idea of targeting weaknesses in the physique, while simply maintaining strong points in the physique, with relatively less effort.

For example Totentanz seems to be having good results from doing upper body only workouts, while largely ignoring his already huge legs.

For me, my arms and traps are strong points so I rarely do any shrugs, curls or tricep stuff. Lately I just train my weak points harder, focusing on back, legs and chest with most of my workout.

It seems to be a successful strategy to focus on the weak points, to grow a more balanced physique.

Sounds like a good idea. We're all looking(I am at least!) for balance and symmetri in our physiques. If you can get away with training some areas less whilst still maintaining size etc then why not?

I wouldn't recommend anyone go to the extreme that I did where I simply cut out leg work altogether in the pursuit of symmetry but manipulating volume to preferentially hit areas that are not naturally strong is a sound tactic. There is, of course, only a certain amount of correction you can do to make up for genetic dispositions but it is certainly better than turning into Platz and being known only for your legs. The fact is, muscle groups that are genetically gifted, in my instance, legs, will grow well with less volume than the muscles that are genetically cursed. In some instances, such as calves in some people, there does seem to be little you can do to correct but you won't know unless you try it out to see.

I wish I had thought of this strategy earlier in my training life!
I am focusing about 90% of my entire body workout on my weaknesses that I want to bring up, namely lats, pecs and calves... The rest of my body seems to be doing fine even though it only gets worked secondarily.
Traps, biceps, triceps and hamstrings are all strengths of mine and so need no direct work at all. Though these all get worked too in my back and chest compounds.

Yes, the minimal volume on those areas along with the additional amount of strain they get as stabilizers in your other lifts should be plenty to maintain them while you work on your focus areas.

Back