Workout duration

9to5lifter

Hi all, great forum! I think this is a subject that hasn't been covered in a specific thread and I was wondering, how long should an HST workout last? I believe the general recommendation is 1 hour or so, but I am not so sure. Another question that is directly linked to the above is: how long should we rest between sets when our goal is hypertrophy (obviously)? Any response/recommendation is welcome, thanks in advance!

Hi 9to5 (what a name :D  what made you choose this?)
tounge.gif

Anyway, welcome to HST
happy.gif

1 hour is about right, include maybe 10 - 15 minutes warmup, or do warmups with at least your compounds.
wow.gif

Rest depends on personal choice and intention, during 15's if it feels too light, slow down rep cadence and decrease rest between 30 - 60 seconds.

The effect is somewhat aerobic which leads to a cut apperance over time, very dependent on nutritional habits and what gets done in between workouts (HIIT and/or other aerobic activities during days off help out a lot)
butbut.gif

Generally for the heavier weights 1 - 2 minutes maximum, and that really depends on how "vented"
laugh.gif
you are getting, but it is never too good to go beyond this rest period.

Hope this helps.
sneaky2.gif

Fausto

Thanks for the reply, it certainly helps. I have read that after 45 minutes - 1 hour of working out (with weights) cortisol levels increase, so after this period you are actually burning muscle in order to keep going (glycogen stores are depleted). However, I am not sure that this is true. Moreover, there are many programs out there which call for a duration greater than 1 hour, and many people (who are gaining) practice them. I haven't seen an "official" guideline on this site regarding the duration of the workout, so I thought that it would be useful to ask what the general consensus is.
About the name thing, it is actually a reminder that many lifters have jobs which do not allow them to workout on an AM/PM schedule (which in turn leads to 3 or 6 workouts per week HST style, I opted for 3, 6 seems a bit too much). Since I belong to this category, I thought why not... Anyway, happy to be on board.

Back