Workout duration

9to5lifter

Hi all, great forum! I think this is a subject that hasn't been covered in a specific thread and I was wondering, how long should an HST workout last? I believe the general recommendation is 1 hour or so, but I am not so sure. Another question that is directly linked to the above is: how long should we rest between sets when our goal is hypertrophy (obviously)? Any response/recommendation is welcome, thanks in advance!

Hi 9to5 (what a name :D  what made you choose this?)
tounge.gif

Anyway, welcome to HST
happy.gif

1 hour is about right, include maybe 10 - 15 minutes warmup, or do warmups with at least your compounds.
wow.gif

Rest depends on personal choice and intention, during 15's if it feels too light, slow down rep cadence and decrease rest between 30 - 60 seconds.

The effect is somewhat aerobic which leads to a cut apperance over time, very dependent on nutritional habits and what gets done in between workouts (HIIT and/or other aerobic activities during days off help out a lot)
butbut.gif

Generally for the heavier weights 1 - 2 minutes maximum, and that really depends on how "vented"
laugh.gif
you are getting, but it is never too good to go beyond this rest period.

Hope this helps.
sneaky2.gif

Fausto

Thanks for the reply, it certainly helps. I have read that after 45 minutes - 1 hour of working out (with weights) cortisol levels increase, so after this period you are actually burning muscle in order to keep going (glycogen stores are depleted). However, I am not sure that this is true. Moreover, there are many programs out there which call for a duration greater than 1 hour, and many people (who are gaining) practice them. I haven't seen an "official" guideline on this site regarding the duration of the workout, so I thought that it would be useful to ask what the general consensus is.
About the name thing, it is actually a reminder that many lifters have jobs which do not allow them to workout on an AM/PM schedule (which in turn leads to 3 or 6 workouts per week HST style, I opted for 3, 6 seems a bit too much). Since I belong to this category, I thought why not... Anyway, happy to be on board.

9to5

I guess I understand now! :D I'm certainly one of those in fact I am using a twice per week routine and gaining, but not so much, this is for various reasons, one for now is not being able to afford protein regularly, but the creatine keeps me going, when I can, I "stuff" myself with bananas and egg whites during the day, seems to work some
laugh.gif
Obviously this is a slight exageration of the actual but even so...
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Moreover, there are many programs out there which call for a duration greater than 1 hour, and many people (who are gaining) practice them.

Maybe so while you viewing but I doubt they will keep on gaining if they are naturals that is, because with "roids" the of course...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I haven't seen an "official" guideline on this site regarding the duration of the workout, so I thought that it would be useful to ask what the general consensus is.

If you look hard enough you will find numerous articles that cover this matter in quite some length, and yah most of us keep it that way, you find that it works either you have "faith " and just do it or you get it the hard way and eventually agree
laugh.gif
LOL (please note that i am joking, don't now take me serious)
tounge.gif

I don't think you need to workout for 1 hour straight. My workouts typically remain around 30 - 45 minutes, depending on what rep range I'm working in. I try to superset exercises to keep my rest periods to a minimum.

Since you are doing full-body at least 3 times a week, it is unnecessary to workout 60 minutes or more. Especially if you are natural.

Workouts ideally should be no longerthan 75 minutes or so. But if many of your workouts are long (90-120 minutes), your body does eventually adapt and average cortisol levels does drop. It's just that initially (say, after SD), your body really can't handle a superhigh work load.

Sipping an energy drink with a little protein helps alleviate problems with excessive cortisol levels too.

cheers,
Jules

Damnit Jules! everytime I read a post of yours I have to do at least an hour of research just to get a basicunderstanding of what the heck you are talking about, and I end up with waaaay more questions than answers...

I hope you realize you are forcing me to get a degree in biology!
tounge.gif

btw when would you think taking phosphatidylserine would be a good idea?

Hi, I 've been busy for some time now (thus the delay). Thanks for your replies, you really helped me a lot. The above mentioned "degree in biology" is actually a good thing. The main reason that made me join the forum was its scientific approach to many subjects, I am tired of hearing subjective terms. Knowing the "why" really helps you have faith in what you are doing. Keep up the good work!

Back