workout/nutrition/goals

Laycock1

Here's my story:

I'm a 20 year old college student. I'm 6'2, weigh around 190-195, and have about 10% bodyfat. That's a complete guess. You can see my abs quite well on a good day, but they could probably do with a bit more muscle on them and I could do with losing a few percent before summer. I have basically a 12 week period until summer, and I'd like to make a mini transformation. I have no specific goals, beyond just looking better in the mirror and getting stronger and healthier overall. Indeed, if I looked the same in the mirror after gaining 10lbs as I did after gaining 30, then I'd rather gain 10 for health's sake-- the scales reading has no bearing on my self-esteem. That being said, to get where I want to be I'll probably have to gain 15-20lbs and lose a bit of bodyfat. I'm also looking to eat alot of clean, whole foods and just generally become a healthier person, extending my longevity. I was recently (unofficially) diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia after feeling faint after large meals. Apparently, my insulin secretes too much insulin and lowers my blood sugar too much. So I am at a high risk for diabetes-- also, my great grandfather and father have it. So I am not only interested in looking better/getting stronger, but also leading a healthy lifestyle that will help me live longer and better. Sort of an all encompassing goal. As if that wasn't enough, I've also sorely been missing team/contact sports since high school, and would like to start playing rugby and maybe boxing, in addition to a bit of soccer (I'm a GK). So naturally, I'd like to incorporate a bit of specific conditioning as well as having my program be somewhat functional and applicable. I'm not looking to turn pro, but some extra strength/speed/power/agility would be nice. I wouldn't mind incorporating a boxing conditioning workout or two a week, but I have no idea how to do this. Again, the overarching emphasis is health and longevity. I've done quite a bit of reading, and considering alot of different programs/diets thusfar.

As far as training is concerned, I obviously want to stick to the compounds-- and have read and considered ironaddicts stuff, HIs program, the DC stuff, Mentzer HIT, DeFranco's WSFSB program, Pavel Tsatsouline's books, Ori Hoflmeker's (sp?) warrior workout, etc. What would probably be best for my goals? Probably DeFranco's...anyway, let me know your thoughts. I also read somewhere that Ryan Reynolds, when prepping for Blade 2 and Amityville Horror, did 500-1000 abs before each workout. I don't want to turn this into a celeb bashing post, but is there any merit in this? I wouldn't mind having those abs...It would also probably help with my sporting goals.

As far as cardio is concerned, I like Dante's approach of low intensity AEROBIC work, for 30-45 minutes in the morning after a whey shake and some green tea 3-6 times a week. For health, this also probably makes sense. I keep reading how anaerobic/interval training is best for fatloss, but I've also read that this sort of training is very unhealthy for the body until an aerobic base has been established. Low intensity aerobic activity, apparently, is alot healthier as it floods your cells with oxygen. Makes alot of sense. Any merit?

Diet is probably my most important consideration, given my goals and health problems/concerns. I also like Dante's diet ideas, namely counting protein grams, nothing else, lots of healthy fats, and a carb cutoff. Coupled with the cardio and an intense routine, this is supposed to shed fat while building muscle, which would be perfect for my (and everyone else's!) goals. I've also considered the typical mass diet, but am worried about gaining any fat. The massive eating diet is also appealing, but I am unsure how my hypoglycemia would react. The warrior diet, adapted to my needs, also is appealing, especially from a health standpoint. Harvey Diamond's Fit For Life (and more of these natural hygiene concepts) are very appealing from a health standpoint, but how will these assist my physique goals? Any ideas?

As far as supplements, I'll be taking an awesome multiviatmin, probably VitaminWorld's GreenSource, in double dosage. Is doubling the dosage alright? Will I have to get the iron free version and then supplement with iron seperately? I'll also be doing an arginine/ornithinine/lyseine combo, coral calcium, a small amount of glutamine and creatine postworkout, and some whey concentrate. I'm considering chromium and CLA for my goals and for my hypoglycemia. Some other herbs might come into play for overall health (ginseng, st. john's wort, royal jelly?)-- not sure. I was also considering beverly's ultra 40 and mass stack, but this is probably more expensive than the benefits would be worth. I will probably get some of those trio-plex bars also, depending on my diet. Oh, I also have a good quality juicer, so will be having a glass of fresh vegetable juice in the mornings (any recipe ideas?). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated-- I'm terribly sorry for the long winded post.

PS- I haven't trained consistently for a couple of years, would some pics help?

If you eat a well balanced meal you don´t need any vitamin supplements unless you have a known and clinically diagnosed deficiency. Watch how yellow your urine will be and watch your money go into the cesspool.
You don´t need any pills or supplements other than those which your doctor may have prescribed. Amino acids and creatine are okay if you are into endurance and not losing too much muscle or into comp. body building.
For you at 20, low intensity cardio is a waste of time unless you have had a heart attack. Short, high intensity cardio 2-4x a week is better, look up the Tabata method, if you are up to it, 2x a week will cover you and save you time. Don´t worry your cells will be flooded with more than enough oxygen. If you are only 20 and in the shape you have described, you can´t be too out of aerobic shape assuming you don´t smoke. When you do the cardio is not as important as how.

Check again with your doctor about your diabetes and tell him/her your fitness/weight lifting plans and make sure he/she gives you the okay.

Diabetes will be the biggest health problem for america in a few short years, nip it in the bud, throw out the TV and the cocacola and you will live longer.

Download this article, print it out , read and pass it along. it is free.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/98/1/3

I most say that is the best beginners post I have ever read. You seem to have the right mind set to do this and have looked at all the angles, made a plan, and are now ready to execute it.

I think you are on the right track with where you are going. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff too much. Just eat right and enough (i'd suggest 6 small meals a day) and lift 3x a week, preferably HST.

agree with the guys 3 fullbody workouts hst begginers routine mostly compounds..add some tabata and hiit cardio eat healthy foods..good luck
biggrin.gif

<div>
(alioop220 @ Mar. 15 2006,10:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Diet is probably my most important consideration, given my goals and health problems/concerns. I also like Dante's diet ideas, namely counting protein grams, nothing else, lots of healthy fats, and a carb cutoff. Coupled with the cardio and an intense routine, this is supposed to shed fat while building muscle, which would be perfect for my (and everyone else's!) goals. I've also considered the typical mass diet, but am worried about gaining any fat. The massive eating diet is also appealing, but I am unsure how my hypoglycemia would react. The warrior diet, adapted to my needs, also is appealing, especially from a health standpoint. Harvey Diamond's Fit For Life (and more of these natural hygiene concepts) are very appealing from a health standpoint, but how will these assist my physique goals? Any ideas?</div>
As far as diet goes there's no way to know how a diet will affect you. With only twelve weeks it's hard to zero it in, best thing to do would be to start tracking what you eat and then shifting it towards cleaner foods with a basic 40/40/20 split of percentages of calories coming from protein, carbs and fat. Until you know how you respond to the basics it's hit or miss to how you'll respond to other diets. You may lose weight on a low carb diet for example, but you might not be able to maintain the workout volume/intensity you want because of the lack of carbs. Sounds like you're generally healthy now, try to keep your caloric intake the same but shift to the 40/40/20 plan and see what happens. This will take longer than 12 weeks to truly gauge the effects but you won't turn into the Michellin Man over night so don't worry.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As far as supplements, I'll be taking an awesome multiviatmin, probably VitaminWorld's GreenSource, in double dosage. Is doubling the dosage alright? Will I have to get the iron free version and then supplement with iron seperately?</div>

Iron free is best for men. Generally you should be getting enough iron from your diet.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'll also be doing an arginine/ornithinine/lyseine combo, coral calcium, a small amount of glutamine and creatine postworkout,</div>

You can save some money and just go with the creatine. The arginine combo might give you a slight boost in GH which could translate to some minor fat burning over time, but other than that you likely won't see much in the way of any kind of results from it. Glutamine is kind of worthless from a fitness standpoint. Might be okay for the immune system.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm considering chromium and CLA for my goals and for my hypoglycemia. Some other herbs might come into play for overall health (ginseng, st. john's wort, royal jelly?)-- not sure. I was also considering beverly's ultra 40 and mass stack, but this is probably more expensive than the benefits would be worth. I will probably get some of those trio-plex bars also, depending on my diet. Oh, I also have a good quality juicer, so will be having a glass of fresh vegetable juice in the mornings (any recipe ideas?). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated-- I'm terribly sorry for the long winded post.</div>

For the hypoglycemia it's best to talk to your doctor. One thing you can do is just not eat large meals, but smaller ones spaced throughout the day with low GI carbs as the focus. Keep higher GI, simple carbs for around workout time when your body can use the quick energy they give, and don't take in too much.

You don't want any iron unless you're losing blood frequently. Most males have way too much iron in their bodies. That's the whole point of an iron free multi-vitamin. I stay away from iron as much as possible.

You can be anemic without losing blood. I was drinking too much coffee and the doctor said that being active combined with too much caffeine can cause it. Said that caffeine acts as a diuretic and flushes a little, but mainly it can cause your body not to absorb iron properly.

Back