Workout Order

tdkb

I am very interested in starting a HST program next week. I can not find what order to perform the exercise. I will be performing :

Monday

Deadlift
Pullups (wide and narrow)
Rows (wide and narrow)
Incline bench
Dips
Overhead Press
Side laterals

Wednesday

Squats instead of deads
all the others the same

Friday

Same as monday

I will be doing calf raises and shrugs during Deads

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Looks good.

no nead to change anything.

The only suggestion that I could give...and this is just optional.

Is to rotate your exercises were you are having a break for maximal poundage.

For example instead of doing Rows after pullups...do your dips then do your rows and then do incline bench.

Just a thought..but it looks good!

Looks good.

no nead to change anything.

The only suggestion that I could give...and this is just optional.

Is to rotate your exercises were you are having a break for maximal poundage.

For example instead of doing Rows after pullups...do your dips then do your rows and then do incline bench.

Just a thought..but it looks good!

Basically what Joe said. I would superset to save time, like this:

A1. Deadlift (do these alone)
B1. Rows (wide and narrow)
B2. Incline bench
C1. Pullups
C2. Dips
D1. Overhead Press
D2. Side laterals

You may want to think about ditching the side laterals. With benching, dips and everything else, your shoulders get his plenty, so an overhead press is usually more than sufficient. Also, stick to narrow grip pullups, the wide grip doesn't help any and evidence shows that the narrow grip actually works better. I don't see a reason to use multiple grips with rows either, I prefer to just use a shoulder-width grip and call it good.

How many sets do you plan to do of each, just out of curiousity?

2 sets of 15 each is my goal.
I will be getting up at 4:00 am and trying to perform around 4:30. I am hoping to to complete in about 45 min.
I like the side laterals because I feel mine are too small and I love the burn it gives me.

I agree with Totentanz, I'd chuck the laterals (unless of course you're already huge or close to your goal size wise).

Just compare the weight you overhead press to what you'll be using for laterals. I'd say if they're within 50 pounds of each other, then that's an indication you need to focus on the press.

I know I've written this before, load is what's important to hypertrophy. I always pick the exercises that allow the greatest load on the target muscle i.e., why curl 135 when you can do weighted dips with a combined weight of over 300?

Deadlift / squats (should be alternated for most some do them on same day but very few)

Pullups (wide and narrow) - Go heavy on the narrow grip (use underhand close) grip and drop the wide grip

Rows (wide and narrow) - alternate with pull ups (do on different day) drop the wide, just use a shoulder width grip.

Incline bench / Dips (alternate these two as well)

Overhead Press / Side laterals (if you don't want to ditch laterals then add them when you reach 5's only and go super heavy on the OH press, that'll add size to your delts)

Otherwise OK
biggrin.gif

Back