Workouts on the Road/Caveman

seemore

How can you do a full body workout on the road with NO gear?

Legs:

One legged squats
Single leg dead lift

Chest and Tris:

Push-ups (one legged, one armed, feet on chair) or
Bench your girlfriend if she's heavy enough
biggrin.gif

Back and bi's?

Remember no chin up bar, so what can we do?

Feet on a chair facing the ceiling and grip the edge of a desk from underneath, pull yourself towards the desk. That's the best I could think of.

Curls with a suitcase in one hand or use a heavy bag.

Shoulder:

Handstand next to a wall and lower head to ground and back up.

Tri's

Dips between two chairs.

Look up Charles Atlas's old Dynamic Tension routine.

Anything is better than nothing unless you are ready for SD anyway.

The end of a bed can be pressed if you pull it out a bit. Stairs can be run up and down. Your local playgrounds will offer places to do pullups, the prone rows you were using a chair and desk for, facing down on a slide is a good pushup spot.
The hard one is probably legs. However, for most any of us, one legged squats are brutal. Oh, and wrap your belt around a doorknob (door open), stand with toes about a foot from the door edge, hold the belt at waist height and lean back. Keeping yourself straight from the knees to the head, you will be doing a sissy squat: nothing sissy about them. Put a large book on the chest for extra weight. Your suitcase will provide weight for SLDL's to hit the hams and glutes.
Can you do a one-handed pushup? Too easy? Hold a book in the other hand.

I love the title of this thread! I did efficient workouts last summer with barely anything. I lifted paint cans and bricks until I finally got some dumbbells.

What are you living conditions on the road? What are you doing?

Well I'll basically have my motel room and what I can pack in a suitcase.

Finding a playground with some monkey bars is a good idea.

There is something elegant about getting by with virtually no equipment, but there are also a number of rubber band type travel gyms available.  I have used Lifeline in the past (Lifeline Portable Gyms).  Also, many hotels now have some minimal workout facilities.  It can be pretty crappy stuff, sometimes, but the higher end places will sometimes have decent machines (no free weights, tho).

No man, hotel gyms are superfun when they walk in on you and you're sitting there banging the stack with a couple dumbells on top of that.
laugh.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 11 2008,2:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Look up Charles Atlas's old Dynamic Tension routine.

Anything is better than nothing unless you are ready for SD anyway.</div>
I sent off for Charlie's course when I was a little kid. It was great for an 11 year old wanting to get big and strong. Wonder if I can pull that train yet?
biggrin.gif

I always look for stairwells. There's usually a way to do dips and/or pullups there somehow. If a door frame has a sturdy architrave you can do pullups with your finger tips on that. That'll toughen those fingers up a treat.

Push ups with your feet up on the back of the sofa work pretty well as inclines.

Get a broom handle so you can rest it between chairs backs and do rows (so you pull yourself up to the bar). Make sure the chairs are heavy enough not to tip over though. Raise your feet to make it harder.

If you have a skateboard it can make a good hack squat machine if you place it between your back and a wall so that the board moves up and down as you squat. If you hold a heavy water container that can make it harder or try alternating legs.

What fun!  
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you have a skateboard it can make a good hack squat machine if you place it between your back and a wall so that the board moves up and down as you squat.</div> I can see the maid at the hotel now, wondering what those stripes on the wall are!
laugh.gif

http://www.rosstraining.com/

&quot;My system emphasizes low-tech/high-effect methods. You do not need fancy equipment or a luxury gym to achieve elite physical fitness&quot; -edited to add the quotation marks-

Ross training is not a bad site, in my opinion.

Ross training has it merits (outside of him claiming name on it all) for fitness and certainly endurance. One thought comes to mind with that type of fitness: a lot of us can't do some of the simple looking stuff he has there (we're not trained for it) and if we could, just think how you could impress your freinds
laugh.gif

No, really, you could just throw down about anytime, anywhere with a challenge! Not that we all can't win a few as is, but this guy needs no weights or equipment.

Back