XFatMan’s Dan Alexander Peaking Program

To tell you the truth, I’d do the same and wouldn’t even give a damn about the floor. But the gym owner would then no further allow squats. It was really a pain in the buttocks to convince him to get a simple stand for squats and overhead presses, so I’d better be gentle. I also had a hard time convincing him that the deadlift is pretty safe.

At the gym, I’m the only guy who squats – all others do leg extensions, hamstring curls, and leg presses instead. I’m the only one who deadlifts or does bent-over rows – all others do pull downs for back work.. And I’m the only one who does standing overhead presses – all others do them seated – what a waste of time because you can press more when you’re standing. And it’s the only gym where you can do these exercises. All other places are machine-based – not an option for me.

Heck, it might be worth your while to get your own olympic bar and plates so you could lift at home. It might be cheaper than paying gym fees.

I'm considering that option, too. Setting up a home gym for my purpose would be simple and pretty cheap: a bar, some plates, a flat bench, and a squat rack.

If you don't, in two years all those guys will be in your way wanting to do deads, squats, O.H. presses...because of your progress.
If you want a home gym, learn from this: if you buy ****, you won't use it. Doesn't matter if it's rusted, squeaky, dented, smelly, spotted, bent, chipped or scratched. If it FEELS cheap, so will you. So a good bench is your first priority, although I built my squat rack (for about $25) and use a flat bench (WAY cheaper) and just added incline/decline bench since I found one for almost nothing. My first bench was plywood, 2x4's, and old sofa padding cut thin and covered with a towel. It worked as well as anything because it was a.) 17" high and b.) solid. Man, was it uuuuuugleeey!
Homemade weight tree ($6), T-Bar row, pressdown rig (welded from old BP equip), lifting platform (this would cost you here; wood is now expensive, but I used scrap) and a bunch of small hole weights with four spin-on db handles. That's a complete gym, using a little imagination. All you need now is an unused sunroom...with extra room for stuff you'll find at yard sales, thrift stores and backyards as you go. I had a problem with bringing home too much junk I wouldn't use or didn't need. Seems like there's a piece sitting out on the curb for pickup every month or so! But always replaced with something better we found.
Cleengym.jpg

Back