Xkane's 3rd Cycle

Xkane

I'm starting my 3rd cycle Monday. I've experienced some gains on my previous two cycles. Not so much on the first though, because I was getting into the groove and really didn't know what I was doing. But the second cycle gave me some results I liked.

I like HST because I can map out my training and there is no guesswork. I can follow my chart, slap the weight on the bar and know exactly what I'm doing next.

A little background:
A few years ago I weighed 220lbs at 5'10". There was no muscle. It was all fat. So to remedy the situation I went on a diet, low-fat mostly, extremely low calorie.(not the best solution I know). But it worked, I lost 40lbs. I had done enough research to know that if I went back to eating like I did before the diet I would gain the weight back, and more. 180lbs was not light enough for me, I wanted to be skinny dammit, and I couldn't care less about muscle at the time. But I wasn't losing anymore weight by just dieting, so I knew I had to add some kind of exercise to the mix.

So........I bought a bowflex....(* embarrassed *). Long story short, I lost another 30lbs and looked half-decent naked (according to my wife)
rock.gif

Eventually I wised up, did some research and found free weights, upped my caloric intake, and stocked up a decent home gym. In about a year and a half, I've gone from 148lbs to 162lbs with no fat gain. I probably could have gained more, but as a former fatty I'm scared as hell of overeating (something I'm trying to get over).

I've read a lot here since joining (and not being able to post for awhile, I think this is done on purpose to force new members to sit back and read for awhile before asking a bunch of questions). I've enjoyed quite a few threads and learned a lot about HST. So..... enough with the essay......here is my stats and 3rd cycle:

5'10" 162lbs 10%BF

exercise/5RM(lbs)
squat / 200
deadlift / 245
bench / 170
chins / 30
dips / 40
overhead press / 120
bent-over rows / 155
triceps extensions / 85
barbell curls / 95

My squats and deadlifts are lacking, I feel. Probably(definitely?) because I've only been doing them since I started HST about 20 weeks ago.

I'll be doing all of the exercises listed above M/W/F in the order they are listed.
2 sets of 15's
3 sets of 10's
4 sets of 5's
2-3 sets of extended 5's

Comments/critique welcome.
tounge.gif

That's not a bad routine you've got going there. You must have been reading the Simplify and Win thread.  
wink.gif

Your squats and deads will come up -- the trick is to do a LOT of them. There was a time I was doing 40 squats and 40 deads, three time a week (I don't necessarily recommend it...
wow.gif
 ), but it surely brought my totals up.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Apr. 21 2008,2:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's not a bad routine you've got going there. You must have been reading the Simplify and Win thread.
wink.gif

Your squats and deads will come up -- the trick is to do a LOT of them. There was a time I was doing 40 squats and 40 deads, three time a week (I don't necessarily recommend it...
wow.gif
), but it surely brought my totals up.</div>
I have indeed read the Simplify and Win thread....and many, many others.

I tried 20 rep squats once. I thought my wife would have to bring me to the emergency room.
laugh.gif
I think I'll stick to more traditional methods of increasing my strength in that area.

I personally recommend HST vanilla for the squats - because - the 3 rep ranges will do much more than just advance strengths. Or you could do different rep ranges like 15, 12, 9, 6, and then do MS to really get your legs destroyed.
Other exersizes like bench or whatnot don't have as much neural, balance, and stretch curves to learn and acclimate, so can be just blasted with 5's or less for strength.

Last night was the first workout of this cycle, and I must say I was quite disappointed. I didn't do two sets of every exercise like I had planned, in fact I found it hard to complete the entire session at all, even with these ridiculously light weights.

A few thoughts:
<ul>
[*]I really didn't feel well yesterday, I was slightly nauseated all day with a headache, perhaps I had a bug of some sort. I trained while feeling ill before and usually feel better after the workout. This was not the case last night.

[*]I took a longer SD this time around, 14 days instead of 7(due to vacation). Does an extra 7 days really leave you that weakened? I followed the same diet, and lost no weight during the SD.

[*]I've also decided to try this cycle without using creatine. I never thought it had much of an effect when I used it. Maybe it was working well?[/list]

I guess it was probably a combination of everything above, I'll chalk it up mostly to feeling ill though.

I managed to do this with my weak self:
I have decided to start at no less than 70% of the RM for the microcycle, and these weights are in lbs, so yes they are really that small.

squats 2 x 15 @ 105
deadlift 2 x 15 @ 125
bench 2 x 15 @ 90
chins 1 x 7 , 1 x 5 @ BW + 15
dips 1 x 10, 1 x 5 @ BW + 22.5
overhead press 1 x 15 @ 65
bent rows 1 x 15 @ 85
triceps extensions 1 x 15 @ 50
BB curls 1 x 15 @ 55

Pitiful I know
biggrin.gif

The thing is, I had no problem last cycle doing two sets of 15's, at least during the first week. Granted, it was more difficult a the end of the second week, but still doable.

<div>
(Xkane @ Apr. 22 2008,9:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last night was the first workout of this cycle, and I must say I was quite disappointed. I didn't do two sets of every exercise like I had planned, in fact I found it hard to complete the entire session at all, even with these ridiculously light weights.

A few thoughts:
<ul>
[*]I really didn't feel well yesterday, I was slightly nauseated all day with a headache, perhaps I had a bug of some sort. I trained while feeling ill before and usually feel better after the workout. This was not the case last night.

[*]I took a longer SD this time around, 14 days instead of 7(due to vacation). Does an extra 7 days really leave you that weakened? I followed the same diet, and lost no weight during the SD.

[*]I've also decided to try this cycle without using creatine. I never thought it had much of an effect when I used it. Maybe it was working well?[/list]

I guess it was probably a combination of everything above, I'll chalk it up mostly to feeling ill though.

I managed to do this with my weak self:
I have decided to start at no less than 70% of the RM for the microcycle, and these weights are in lbs, so yes they are really that small.

squats 2 x 15 @ 105
deadlift 2 x 15 @ 125
bench 2 x 15 @ 90
chins 1 x 7 , 1 x 5 @ BW + 15
dips 1 x 10, 1 x 5 @ BW + 22.5
overhead press 1 x 15 @ 65
bent rows 1 x 15 @ 85
triceps extensions 1 x 15 @ 50
BB curls 1 x 15 @ 55

Pitiful I know
biggrin.gif
</div>
xkane, this is actually good news. You did the right thing and you SD'd for long enough so your muscle tissue is now sensitive to the loads that you will be using on it. And that means one thing, that the RBE is gone and you will make tonnes of progress.
smile.gif

Creatine has a much more obvious effect on me during higher rep work so you may find that, without it, you struggle more during 15s and 10s.

I must say that 14 day SD must have done a hard reboot. Yesterday I had the worst DOMS in my legs I have ever had. I could barely walk. Every muscle from my toes to my lower back was extremely sore. It was Heaven.

So after hobbling around all day I left work got home and did my workout. Had a lot more energy last night than I did on Monday so I actually finished all of my sets this time:

Squat 2 x 15 @ 110
Deadlift 2 x 15 @ 130
Bench Press 2 x 15 @ 95
Chins 1 x 10, 1 x 5 @ BW+15
Dips 1 x 15 @ BW+25
Overhead Press 1 x 15 @ 70
Bent Rows 1 x 15 @ 90
Triceps Extensions 1 x 15 @ 52.5
BB curls 1 x 15 @ 60

Felt good after this one.

I took some measurements for shits and giggles. I noticed I lost 1/4&quot; on my arm measurements compared to my measurements at the end of my last cycle. Is this more likely from not using the creatine this cycle, or the longer SD?

Another good workout. I think I'm getting back into the groove after the SD.

One complaint though: living in south Louisiana sucks, too much damn humidity. Training outside on the carport can leave a man wishing to live in Vancouver or somewhere.

Also the creatine issue: I think I'm going to add it back to my diet. I'm definitely noticing a difference, I'm really fatigued at the end of my sets.

My workout for Friday for those who wish to know:

Squats 2 X 15 @ 120
Deadlifts 2 x 15 @ 140
Bench Press 2 x 15 @ 100
Chins 1 x 15 @ BW, 1 x 5 @ BW+17.5
Dips 1 x 15 @ 27.5
Overhead Press 1 x 15 @ 75
Bent Rows 1 x 15 @ 95
Triceps Extensions 1 x 15 @ 55
BB curls 1 x 15 @ 65

Questions:
Should my bent rows and bench press be about even in weight? Or am I looking weaker than I should comparing one to the other? (or in any other lift, for that matter).

I've struggled to get my bench press up for a while, stalled a few times. But since I've added bent over rows , the bench has come up easier.

ahhh the 15's, gotta love em. They are so much like cardio you can't help but want to skip them. Ha!

I was feeling pretty good last night, ate a PB&amp;J sammich before my workout so I was rarin' to go. So in light of my sudden energy, I decided to try to superset my entire workout doing one set of each. Eh, It went well until I hit the dips and I had to slow down. I guess that sandwich didn't go as far as I thought it would.

Here's last night:
Squats 1 x 15 @ 130
Deadlift 1 x 15 @ 150
Bench Press 1 x 15 @ 100
Chins 1 x 15 @ BW+17.5
Dips 1 x 12 , 1 x 5 @ BW+30
Overhead Press 1 x 15 @ 75
Bent Rows 1 x 15 @ 100
Triceps Extensions 1 x 15 @ 60
BB Curls 1 x 15 @ 70

I set up my chart so that my starting weight is no less than 70% of my RM increasing by 5% each workout rounded to the nearest 5lbs. So, I repeat the same weight every so often, not because I'm struggling with it, but because my chart tells me to. Is this retarded?

more of my apparently boring log:

Last night's:
Squats 1 x 15 @ 135
Deadlifts 1 x 15 @ 155
Bench Press 1 x 15 @ 105
Chins 1 x 15 @ 17.5
Dips 1 x 15 @ BW+35
Overhead Press 1 x 15 @ 80
Bent Rows 1x 15 @ 105
Triceps Extensions 1 x 15 @ 60
BB Curls 1 x 15 @ 70

I tried to superset again, but stalled at the bench press this time, probably because I'm getting close to my RM for 15's.

I can't wait to start the 10's next week as 10's are my favorite. I'll probably drop the Tri ext. and bb curls during the second week of tens as I near my RM for 10's.

I seem to be stalling at chins, this is my third workout at the same weight and it doesn't seem to be getting easier. At least tomorrow is the last day of 15's and I can reset next week and start over with a smaller set, but I can tell I will have to cluster my second set before I even start.
Any suggestions? How do you guys do on increasing chins?

<div>
(Xkane @ Apr. 24 2008,9:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I must say that 14 day SD must have done a hard reboot. Yesterday I had the worst DOMS in my legs I have ever had. I could barely walk. Every muscle from my toes to my lower back was extremely sore.</div>
I just did a 16-day SD. I find that I am having to struggle with submaximal weights (and have DOMS for the first time in a long while).

There may be no labcoat-satisfactory explanation for a short SD, but it surely seems to work as adverstised.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yesterday I had the worst DOMS in my legs I have ever had. I could barely walk. Every muscle from my toes to my lower back was extremely sore. It was Heaven.</div> LOL, Hilarious! Hang in there guy, you're doing great. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
Oh, and your bench should pass your rows. But at first, things can be all out of whack. Whatever whack is.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 01 2008,7:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yesterday I had the worst DOMS in my legs I have ever had. I could barely walk. Every muscle from my toes to my lower back was extremely sore. It was Heaven.</div> LOL, Hilarious! Hang in there guy, you're doing great. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
Oh, and your bench should pass your rows. But at first, things can be all out of whack. Whatever whack is.</div>
Ahh, Thanks for the answer Quad.
biggrin.gif
That makes sense, since on the bench there is solid support to push off of, whereas on the bent row its my back that holds me steady.

I guess I can pull more than I can push at the moment, I do love the bent rows, although they leave me light-headed.

Last night's:

Squats 1x15@145
Deads 1x15@165
Bench press 1x12, 1x3@120
Chins 1x7, 1x5@ BW+20
Dips 1x12, 1x3 @ BW+35
Overhead press 1x12, 1x3@85
Bent rows 1x15@115

This was the last of my 15's.
I was pretty beat at the end of this one so I skipped the isos for the arms. No big loss I guess.
I added a bit more to my bench than my 15RM was supposed to be, I had to cluster but I finished it. I felt a little stronger on the bench than last cycle's 15's, so I'm making progress.

I can't wait until Monday to start the 10's(my favorite). I'm also going to start loading the creatine this weekend. Two weeks was enough for me to figure out that it was actually doing something for me.

ahhhh, a refreshing deload. 10's started last night. I find the little bit of zig-zag I allow in my routine helps a lot. It lets me get a running start at the RM.

Last night's:

Squats 2x10@130
Deads 2x10@155
Bench press 2x10@110
Chins 1x10, 1x6 @ BW+10
Dips 2x10@BW+20
Overhead Press 2x10@80
Bent Over Rows 2x10@100
BB Curls 2x10@65
Triceps extensions 2x10@55

moving along.....
last night's:

squat 2x10@135
deads 2x10@165
bench press 2x10@115
chins 1x10, 1x6@BW+12.5
dips 2x10@BW+22.5
overhead press 2x10@85
bent over rows 2x10@105
BB curls 2x10@70
triceps extensions 2x10@60

Still struggling at chins. I don't know what happened, but I estimated my 15RM and 10RM off of my new 5RM from last cycle. I may have overestimated. So, in reality, I've not really gotten stronger on these. I think I may take a more traditional approach to progressing on these. i.e.: keep the weight the same until I can do 12 reps then bump up the weight and work my way back up to 12 reps, and repeat. Does this seem like a bad idea? Or should I at least try to increase the load at every workout?

Also, I'm thinking I need an e-z curl bar for the triceps extensions. I've been using my Oly straight bar, and it's killing my wrists. Or I could just skip them all together, since they aren't really needed. Eh, I just love doing them.

1st week of 10's are over. Time flies when you are having fun. Only Friday's workout wasn't very fun, in fact, I was hardly able to complete it. I felt run down, and had no energy despite the two PB&amp;J sammiches I ate an hour before the session. Perhaps I had a bug of some sort.
Here's Friday night:

Squats 2x10@145
Deads 2x10@175
Bench Press 1x10, 1x8, 1x2@120
sad.gif

Chins 1x10@BW+12.5
sad.gif

Dips 2x10@BW+25
Bent Over Rows 2x10@110
smile.gif

BB Curls 1x10@75
Bench dips 1x10@BW+25

I've substituted bench dips for the triceps extensions until I can get an ez curl bar since the extensions hurt my wrists with my oly straight bar.

I think I'll have to look at my diet a little closer. This may be why I'm not feeling as strong this cycle. Weight gained so far this cycle: -1lbs. Not good. Although, I think I've made some strength gains in some lifts(squats, deads, rows) I think I'm falling behind on the bench and and chins. But I really won't know this for sure until I get to my RM and can actually complete that workout.

Just out of curiosity, don't you think you are pushing too hard? Off course this varies from person to person but 2 sets of 10 for deads AND squats in the same day plus 2 sets of 10 for bench AND dips, chins AND rows and isos to top it off... watch out to avoid overtraining.

Back