weigt increment help

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't worry, your maxes are very similar to mine! I'm only 5'6" and had never lifted prior to this HST cycle so as you can guess I'm not particularly strong. Everyone here has given you great recommendations but since I have a strength level almost identical to yours, I can say that for the small muscle groups that you use low weights on, it is great to repeat the weight twice.

Yeah, but Scooper, you'd probably get better gains than Chickenmonkey (I'm assuming Chickenmonkey has lifted weights before HST - am I right, Chickenmonkey?), since you are quite bascially a previously untrained person, and even if you don't use HST, you can end up seeing amazing gains. That's what happened to me, except of course that the plateau kinda, err, stinks, so I had to search for a better understanding of muscles and programs.

But in the long run, really, what counts is you keep at HST, get a good diet and stick with that also, and get enough rest (enough sleep, and less stress).

Regards!
-JV

unfortunately, jv is right. i have lifted for about a year, so i won't get as big of a gain as you. but i have one more question for you guys. in what order should i perform my excerises? here are my excersises.
Here's my maxes
Squat
Sldl
Bench Press
DB Military Press
Lat Pulldowns
Preacher curls
DB Calf raises

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chickenmonkey05 @ July 29 2005,2:26)]unfortunately, jv is right. i have lifted for about a year, so i won't get as big of a gain as you. but i have one more question for you guys. in what order should i perform my excerises? here are my excersises.
Here's my maxes
Squat
Sldl
Bench Press
DB Military Press
Lat Pulldowns
Preacher curls
DB Calf raises
i would do it like this

squat
bench press
sldl
db millitary
lat pulldowns
calf raises
tri ext
curls
that way its all push and pull exercises.

Hey chickenmonkey :)

As far as arranging exercises, two good tips would be:

1. Do the heavy compounds first, leave the isolations for last.

2. Arrange them in such a way that you can do supersets. (You can do that basically by arranging exercises for opposing muscles after each other... for example, place benchpress then put lat pulldowns after that.

#1 is simply a little practical tip. This isn't a law or anything that would make your gains any bigger. Just do the heavy compounds first before the isolations so that you don't tire some of the muscles with the isolations before you make them do the compounds. Of course, for lagging bodyparts, sometimes you may have to forget about this tip. Sometimes, all you need to bring up a lagging body part is to do them first while you are fresh.

#2 is also for your convenience. Arrange them in those "pairs" so if you do decide to superset, they are already lined up for you properly.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
-JV

After reading through all the suggestions you guys gave me, i'm still confused as heck! I tried using OGs method of 70% but the increments came out to be about 5lbs. And according to Bryan small increments will not produce hypertrophy. heeeeelp
butbut.gif

Hey chickenmonkey :)

For the upper body, 5 lbs are perfect. Don't fret, that's almost the standard. Then just adjust later on as your maxes increase significantly, like when they get over 200 pounds. (I'm talking about core lifts, of course; 200 pounds for an isolation like dumbbell curls would make you a monster, and I wouldn't want to meet you in a streetfight)

For the arms, when using dumbbells, it's even ok to use 2.5 pound increments per dumbbell (and when you look at it, it's just the same as incrementing 5 pounds had you used an EZ-curl or straight bar).

For legs, however, you may err safely by usig 10-pound increments.

Hope this helps. If you need anything, just keep on asking and we'll do our best :)
-JV

the lat machine at my gym goes up by 15lbs increment. but it goes 50,60,75,90,105. So i should do like 60,60,75,75,90,105? is that okay? For preacher curls, the bar is my max, so should i use two dumbells like 10lbs one? Since my maxes are so low, i guess i'll have to zig zagg. And thanks for helping me out.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the lat machine at my gym goes up by 15lbs increment. but it goes 50,60,75,90,105. So i should do like 60,60,75,75,90,105? is that okay?

Yes, that's ok.  :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For preacher curls, the bar is my max, so should i use two dumbells like 10lbs one?

Yes, that's ok as well  
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since my maxes are so low, i guess i'll have to zig zagg.

Yes, that is also fine. While your maxes are low, it's perfectly ok to zigzag or even repeat some weights during a 2-week period (microcycle), since being relatively unconditioned (since you did SD and you haven't been training all your life for, say, 20 years), they will all still be pretty much effective.

Good luck, happy lifting! Just remember to keep a proper diet, get enough rest, control your stress levels, and you'll do just great!  
thumbs-up.gif

-JV

I have been lifting about a year and have been lifting pretty hard unitll 2 month ago when school ended and got lazy. still think i'll get good results? i'm 18 by the way. 6'ft and 185lbs.

here's my plan for the 15's
squat: 120,130,140,150,160,170
Bench: 80, 85,90,90,105,110
SLDL: 70,70,80,80,95,95
db Mil: 20,20,25,25,30
lat:60,60,75,75,90,105
calf: 20,20,30,30,35,37.5
tricept:20,20,30,30,35,40
bicep:10,10,12.5,12.5,15,32

good or no?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have been lifting about a year and have been lifting pretty hard unitll 2 month ago when school ended and got lazy. still think i'll get good results?

If I understood that right, that means you stopped for 2 months... if that is the case, then that's like a 2-month SD, so yeah, that's pretty much ok.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i'm 18 by the way. 6'ft and 185lbs.

Unless you have a pot-belly or something, you sound like you are in the right weight category for your height, so you pretty much won't have any problems (of course, without knowing your BF%, I can't say for sure). And being 18, you still have a lot of testosterone freely flowing in your veins - think of it like getting free, legal steriods! ;) You can thank God that you discovered HST while you are still a teenager.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]here's my plan for the 15's
squat: 120,130,140,150,160,170
Bench: 80, 85,90,90,105,110
SLDL: 70,70,80,80,95,95
db Mil: 20,20,25,25,30
lat:60,60,75,75,90,105
calf: 20,20,30,30,35,37.5
tricept:20,20,30,30,35,40
bicep:10,10,12.5,12.5,15,32

good or no?

Looks like you have pretty good core lifts included. I'd say go with it, it looks just like the standard HST routine, so you are on the right track!

Is this your first HST routine?

Regards,
- JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chickenmonkey05 @ Aug. 01 2005,9:33)]the lat machine at my gym goes up by 15lbs increment. but it goes 50,60,75,90,105. So i should do like 60,60,75,75,90,105? is that okay? For preacher curls, the bar is my max, so should i use two dumbells like 10lbs one?  Since my maxes are so low, i guess i'll have to zig zagg. And thanks for helping me out.  
thumbs-up.gif
Chickenmoney, see if your gym has those rubber plates that are 2.5, 5, and 7.5 lbs a piece. My gym's pulley station and pec fly machine are set up with those same 15 lb increments so those rubber plates let my weights still progress.
-Colby

what rubber plates? how do you use them? i'm used to my school gym where there were no facny equipment but the 24hour gym has all sorts of 21st century contraptions and are confusing as heck! Even the squat rack doesn't look like one.

Well if you currently go to that 24-hr gym, then I am assuming they'll have some of those rubber plates. They will be lying on the floor or on the top of a set of weights on any type of pulley machine.

They can be used for any type of pulley machine i.e. cable station, pec fly machine, shoulder press, abs, preacher curl machine, etc... You just put them on the top of the stack of weights. Just ask someone around the gym if you can't find em.

Back