Hi Guys I Have Been Doing Hst For About 2 Years Now.

scout

Hi guys I have been doing HST for about 2 years now.
I have a question I do HST cycles as follows, two weeks of 15s, two weeks of 10s, and two weeks of 8s ( I add weight to each workout) then I will continue doing the 8s (I write these up as BEOND 8s) and add more weight each workout for about another 3 or 4 weeks and then I go on SD.
OK so here's the question let's say I finished the 10s and started doing the 8s for 6 workouts and on my sixth workout I was doing Dips with 45 pounds for 8 reps.
Now I continue to do Dips and continue adding weight for 6 more workouts for 8 reps and at the last workout I am doing Dips with 65 pounds.
When I find my new 15s, 10s and 8 rep maxs do I use my 8 rep max from the last 8 rep set mini cycle which was 45 lbs for dips or use the last 8 rep max from the last ( BEOND 8s )rep set mini cycle which was 65 lbs for dips
Thank You

If you are doing 8 reps with 65lbs at the end of your 9/10 week cycle then this should be the figure you should be using to set up your 8 rep block in your next cycle otherwise all of your next cycle will be sub maximal, also bear in mind that you will also have to increase the load for you 10s and 15s or again loads will be sub maximal.

If you are doing 8 reps with 65lbs at the end of your 9/10 week cycle then this should be the figure you should be using to set up your 8 rep block in your next cycle otherwise all of your next cycle will be sub maximal, also bear in mind that you will also have to increase the load for you 10s and 15s or again loads will be sub maximal.
Thats what I thought but wanted to be sure, I just wanted to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about.
So when I set up my next cycle I should start with my extended 8 rep max and deduct weight backwards to find my 10rep max, deduct weight backwards to find my 15 rep max
Thank You

How do you intend to recalculate your 10 and 15 rep blocks?
What I have been doing was after my last workout of the extended 8s, I would take a day off then I would come back to the gym and find my new 15rep maxs , skip a day then comeback and find my 10 rep maxs and I would use my 8 rep maxs from my the last 8 rep cycle (not from the extended 8s)
Sorry I take a long time typing

That is the best way to do it apart from your 8 rep block - any reason you do 8s rather than 5s?

That is the best way to do it apart from your 8 rep block - any reason you do 8s rather than 5s?
I know there are older gentleman and even ladies out there then me (I'm 60 5'6" 143lbs) lifting more weight then I am but I have a herniated disk and a few very compressed/ budging disk and a very old shoulder injury from do BB shoulder press's improbably.
Low back always stiff, good days are ok bad days all I have to do is take a step or lift my arm out in front of me and the compressed/budging disk hits the nerve and I cant stand up straight for weeks.
So I work around Carrying /Holding heavy weights , so any thing standing I do one arm, DB shoulder presses, Trap shrugs.
I used to do 10,8,6 rep pyramid workouts before HST and messed up my shoulder doing dips back then I was doing 35lbs for 6 reps.
At 6 reps I would feel it in my back doing anything standing ,bb curls, shrug's , shoulder presses.
So I have been leery about doing 5 reps
Pull ups, should be ok chin-ups

That's a good enough reason for not doing 5s!! Hope I am still lifting when I am 60, 10 years to go!

Back