minor tweak on standard HST rouinte

kyleman1

The HST routine in the articles section, heres what ive done. I've split in half (body part wise) because it is alot to do in 1 workout. Then:

1. Day 1 - 1st half
2. Day 2 - 2nd half

If I repeat on Day 3, there will be no difference at all in frequency. However, im thinking about resting this 3rd day and repeating on the 4th. That will be alot more rest. Maybe too much? Id appreciate feedback on this. Thanks alot!
-Kyle

In my opinion, frequency is more important than volume. Personally, I would do the reverse of what you are suggesting, i.e., a shorter full body workout every day getting in at least 5, and preferably 6, full body workouts per week. What you are contemplating is only hitting each bodypart twice per week.

5 (and upwards of 6) full body workouts a week is a real lot! But of course that implies low volume. Just how low is the volume to do something like this? Are we talking like just like 1 set of bench every day? Could you maybe list to me how basic the routine has to be to keep up with a frequency this demanding. Thanks
-Kyle

Here is a sample workout that I used for 5 and 6 times per week.

BB Incline Bench Press
Dips
Chin ups
Seated Rows
Shoulder Press
Shrug Bar Shrugs
Close Grip Bench Press
Hammer Curls
Squats
Leg Extensions

1 set of each exercise for all rep schemes. One week of 15's, 1 week of 10's, 1 week of 10 RM's with drop sets, 1 week of 5's, 2 weeks of 5 RM's with drop sets of at least an additional 10 reps. For legs I use reps of 20, 15 and 10. Use a 2/4 tempo for 15's, 1/3 tempo for 10's and 1/2 tempo for 5's. Strict form.

If you have the time, my experience has been that it is even better to split the above routine into AM/PM workouts so that each bodypart is worked 12 times per week.

Sounds pretty easy but it isn't when you get into the drop sets. No whinning allowed!

:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kyleman1 @ July 07 2005,10:35)]5 (and upwards of 6) full body workouts a week is a real lot! But of course that implies low volume. Just how low is the volume to do something like this?
I too would like to know the answer to this as I am about to start a 5 or 6x per week full body routine.

Oh. You just answered before I got a chance to click "add reply."

Thanks O&G.

O&G, a few questions:

1. Why do you use higher rep counts for legs?

2. Do you do any work for your calves?

3. How does the drop set week work? Do you go to failure w/ your 10 adn 5 RMs and then drop weight? If so, how much do you drop and for how many reps? Is this what they mean by clustering?

4. Why do you train legs last?

Sory for the questions, but I am new to HST.

Delphi

1. My legs seem to grow better with higher reps. When I get down to about 5 reps, I don't seem to get as much direct stimulation as I need. I could do 2 sets of 5 but chose to do 1 set of 10 instead. It can get pretty spooky with the amount of weight you have to use for the 5's to be effective when you work out alone.

2. No. My calves are as big as I want them to be and squats seem to keep them at that size without any direct work.

3. I go to failure as I define 'failure' which is when I cannot do another rep without compromising my form or tempo. I drop the weight about 25% and get another 6 or so reps and drop another 25% and get about 8 or 10 more reps. This is not clustering. Clustering is when you strive for a predetermined number of reps and do as many sets as need to hit that target. Drop sets, unlike clusters, have no rest between sets.

4. I train legs last as they are the largest muscle and it takes quit a bit out of me to train them. If I did them first, I would have to compromise somewhat on my other body parts.

Hope this helps somewhat.

O & G,

JUST, how well has this worked out out for you? You're routine you put on here. Are the gains quick? I will try it if you tell me how potent it is. Thanks alot
-Kyle

There is no magic bullet. It all takes work, dedication and time. The only time reference I can give you is that at 5'8" I went in 24 months from 170 pounds at 18% bodyfat to 185 at 9% bodyfat, naturally, using HST principles and a reasonable, but not fanatical, diet.That's a loss of 15 pounds of fat tissue and a gain of 30 pounds of muscle. However, I was starting out having lifted for many years. Someone who is relatively new to lifting, <5 years, could probably easily exceed those numbers.

Back