Racquetball and HST (input requested)

smf

Great forum. Thanks to Bryan and all the posters for sharing your training knowledge.

I'm 43 and have been resistance training 25 years. My main goal is to lose about 15 pounds of bodyfat while keeping the muscle mass I have; I don't care about building much more muscle. I began my first cycle this week after reading the forum for a few weeks, testing for my 15 RM, and then a week or so of SD. I plan to lift 3-6X per week; I also play intense racquetball for 1-2 hours at least 3 days per week because I enjoy the game greatly. This often means r-ball and weights on the same day; I try to do weights first. Does anyone have any insight as to how I should adjust my workout structure given my goal of fat loss?

My weights routine is:
Leg Press (I tend to get sciatica if I load my spine w/ squats.)
Leg Curl
Leg Ext.
Seated Calf
Chins
Dips
Cable Rows
D-B Incline Press
Lateral Raises
Tri. Ext.
Curls
Rear Delt Machine

I do abs/obliques 3X per wk. also.

All the machine exercises are on Cybex Eagle equipment (Brand new, no friction, high quality). I will perform the above M, W, F. When I do a workout on T, Th, or Sat., I will just perform the leg press, leg curl, chins, and dips, w/ maybe an arm iso. movement.

Thanks for any feedback.

I would think the racquetball and diet would matter more for weight loss. Keep your heart rate up will doing your workout I guess, go from one exercise to the next with as short a pause as possible. Other than that, eat a little less and keep playing. Nice to see a fellow rball player here.

Thanks xahrx. That's what I'll plan to do -- circuit style HST along w/ the rball and watch the diet. How often do you play rball, and how do you schedule it relative to your HST workouts?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (smf @ Jan. 21 2006,10:03)]Thanks xahrx. That's what I'll plan to do -- circuit style HST along w/ the rball and watch the diet. How often do you play rball, and how do you schedule it relative to your HST workouts?
Used to play 3-4 times a week. Both my regular partners dropped out, one because she wanted her 9th knee operation to be her last, the other had a kid. Now a days I play whenever I can which is once a month or so if I'm lucky.
sad.gif

I may have found a partner who can play regularly again. I quit my gym though because from 5-8 they had challenge court in all the courts but one, and the other one was reserved three months in advance. The guys who monopolized the challenge court would never let anyone else play even on challenge, they turned down every game challenge anyone but their friends made. It was crap. Now I play at my old university when I get the chance. There's blood on some of the walls of the courts from aggressive handball games, but it'll do for now.

For structure I always played either on off days or after my weight workout. If i played before working out I always felt bushed, like I couldn't give the weights my all. If weights got me bushed I could always work strategy more than speed in rball afterward. It actually helped improve my game by making me concentrate on strategy, because I couldn't always move as fast as I wanted after working out.

Back