Is Chad Waterbury steeling Hst ?

M@x

Every time I read an T- Nation article from Chad Waterbury the programm looks like an HST tweak? Opinions on this topic?

I'd say stay away from T Nation overall. My guess is the HST principles are general and successful enough that it wouldn't be unusual to see them to some degree in any successful weight training program. If you think about it, most of the popular programs advocate:

Increasing the load over time. They just go about in a strength increasing way rather than SDing and then using minimally effective loads.

Higher frequency seems to be an accepted norm these days, Max OT aside.

Even though most programs don't explicitly include an SD period, a lot advocate a deloading period, or a period of decreased intensity as part of a periodized routine.

So I wouldn't say it's unusual to see HST principles popping up here and there. Whether it's blatantly stolen from Haycock and credit just wasn't given, or just a natural evolution toward techniques that work more effectively would probably be impossible to determine. Hopefully Bryan will get his book out soon enough to at least establish himself as one of the key guys who started researching to find out why certain techniques worked, and then incorporating them into a routine.

ive spent a bit of time at t-nation and have read a bit of waterburys programs. i would agree that they seem to be a tweak/variation of hst but im ok with that. having said that, im not making any comment on who founded what and giving credit where credit is due issues. i dont know enough of waterburys history, claims etc.
what i would disaree with is recommending people "stay away from t-nation overall".
info is info. t-nat is full of good articles, programs, diets etc. its got plenty of crap, advertisments, haters etc. as well. the idea being that you use all sources available to you to build a program that works for you and your goals. there is no one size fits all program not even hst. some lifters achieve more on other programs or tweaking of existing ones (a la waterbury). how do you find that out. read, read, read. try a program for a while, evaluate and continue or change. t-nat is a great place for that kind of info you just have to have a head on your shoulders and a plan in mind.
btw i found this site thru a t-nation recommendation.

Back