Stud

Scooper182

Edit:  I must've accidentally deleted part of the title of this thread.  I didn't mean to call it "Stud."  It should have said "Studies on Low/High Volume Training!"
blush.gif

I was recently searching around here and elsewhere for studies demonstrating the differences/similarities between low volume workouts and higher volume workouts.  My interest peaked on this subject while I was re-reading the articles in the Articles section.  In "Timing is Everything," Bryan cites a study on high volume vs low volume.  
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In a study performed at Montclair State University5 researchers investigated the effect of a single set vs. a multiple set routine on increasing upper body strength. They had the subjects perform either one set or three sets of bench press, incline dumbbell press and flat dumbbell flies using ten reps, three times per week for 12 weeks. This kind of study has been done before but this one is particularly valuable because it involved previously "trained" subjects. This is significant because untrained subjects will usually respond positively to virtually any training routine. Just because a training strategy works for beginners doesn't mean it will work for experienced lifters. These researchers found that doing a single set of each exercise was equally effective as doing three sets of the same movements in increasing the subjects one repetition maximum (1RM) on bench press. The take home message is that you needn't do more than a single work set to achieve the same relative gains of doing multiple sets. This makes incorporating a whole body workout into your schedule much more feasible.
As you can see, this study showed no differences in high/low volume work regarding strength but made no mention of differences in hypertrophy.
The only study I personally found which demonstrated the differences in "body composition" regarding higher/lower volume training was on exrx.net:  Hass CJ, Garzarella L, de Hoyos D, Pollock ML. (2000). Single versus multiple sets in long-term recreational weightlifters. Med Sci Sports Exerc, Jan;32(1):235-42
My current cycle is a higher frequency tweak, more specifically, full body workouts 4-5 days per week.  I've been doing anywhere from 2 to 3 sets per body part per workout, even at the higher weight ranges.  I've had no problem at all with overtraining.  
Regardless, I would like to read some more research on the effects of higher and lower volume workouts on muscle hypertrophy.  If anyone can please provide me with some links to such studies I would GREATLY appreciate it.  Thank you!
thumbs-up.gif

It's a mix grab bag of literature when it comes to volume.

Some say more, some say less. But anyway here are some for your reading pleasure.

Effects of equivolume isometric training programs comprising medium or high resistance on muscle size and strength.

Quantitative analysis of single- vs. multiple-set programs in resistance training.
Wolfe BL, LeMura LM, Cole PJ.

Maximizing strength development in athletes: a meta-analysis to determine the dose-response relationship.
Peterson MD, Rhea MR, Alvar BA.

Whole body muscle hypertrophy from resistance training: distribution and total mass
Br J Sports Med 2003;37:543-545

Muscle hypertrophy, hormonal adaptations and strength development during strength training in strength-trained and untrained men.
Ahtiainen JP, Pakarinen A, Alen M, Kraemer WJ, Hakkinen K.
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003 Aug;89(6):555-63. Epub 2003 May 07.

Effect of resistance training volume on strength and muscle thickness.
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996 Oct;28(10):1311-20.

The influence of volume of exercise on early adaptations to strength training.
Paulsen G, Myklestad D, Raastad T.

American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Progression models in resistance training for healthy adults.
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Feb;34(2):364-80.

A Critical Analysis of the ACSM Position Stand on Resistance Training: INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT RECOMMENDED TRAINING PROTOCOLS
JEP Volume 7 Number 3 June 2004

Meta-Analyses Do Not Support Performance of Multiple Sets or High Volume Resistance Training
JEP Volume 7 Number 5 2004

Human Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy
Sports Nutrition Review Journal Jan-Mar 1(1):1-13, 2004.

That'll keep ya busy for a bit. If you need more there are more posted over at my forum in the Strength and Training Forums.

Back