what you say to this.....

basso

i'll do 1 week of 15's and then the usual.
i'll do some isolation to chest( i really want to work it good).

A
dipsx2
flys incline/flys machinex2(havn't decide because i don't feel a
strech with flys incline,your thoghts?)
pulley widex2
rows narrowx2
leg press x2
leg extensionx1
seated calves raisex2
shoulder pressx2
upright cable rowx1
hammersx2
DB triceps ext.x2
absx2

B
incline bench pressx2
flys flatx2
pulley v-barx2
rows widex2
leg pressx2
leg ext.x1
seated calves raisex2
front DB raisex2
upright cable rowx1
curlsx2
cable rope tri ext.x2
absx2

Are you going to alternate A and B weekly? May I ask your reasoning for alternating exercises to this extent? I have seen people alternate leg press and squats, or squats and deads, but not every exercise. Kind of interferes with motor learning, and affects strength gains if you change up exercises too often. Just want to clarify your reasoning before I make a judgement call.

Agree with Biz on the changing of exercises even way before HST I believed there was no shaping exercises so I stuck with just compound or mass movements. I would pick 1 exercise and hammer at it for a while just to judge your strength progress.

I've actually always alternated every exercise and at the moment actually have 3 sessions I change between. I've found it means I can cover more bases (for example changing between rows and chins as I only do one back exercise), makes increments easier as they're double what they would be otherwise (especially useful for dumbbell exercises) and just keeps me more interested.

I'd be interested to hear if other people think there's a big disadvantage to doing this.

Other than that my main thought is its a lot of sets...but that might be my personal preference. I only do 1 set for 15s and 10s, 2 for 5s and also only do 6 exercises so you're doing quite a lot more than me...it might take a long time in the 15s you might want to think about leaving out stretch point execises until then...also I would make sure your curls are incline curls.

Cheers

Rob

Just to add I was talking about alternating between each session as opposed to weekly - I'm assuming that's what you're doing basso but let us know...

I agree with Joe.Muscle on the topic of exercise selection. I just choose 1-2 exercises per bodypart and form my routine around them. Even back when I was volume training (many exercises per bodypart), I felt only 1-2 were worth it and the rest served only as a means of exhaustion. Generally we know that
1. Hitting the muscle from every angle imaginable is not necessary to train it adequately.
2. Rotating exercises in not necessary for muscle growth.

Of course major muscle groups require more than one exercise and variety also plays a role (especially when one has been training consistently for a long time). However, I feel we can enhance the growth procedure if we concentrate on the basics.

Hi Guys

I also do my fair bit of alternating. :)

I feel that it allows to use the variation I like to use, the variation is between workouts so Iit does not bother me.

Progression is there although it is skipped only one workout at a time, but is picked up when the exercise comes up again.

I can agree however that it is better to maintain as few exercises as possible, so ratrher emphasize quality than quantity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]havn't decide because i don't feel a strech with flys incline,your thoghts?)

My thoughts, I find it strange that you don't get a stretch, try opening your arms wider (the weight will have to be less), and reduce the inclination to just 15 degrees, bend at the elbow just enough, you should get a nice stretch!
happy.gif

well, about the volume my previous prog. before HST was (just an example) 30 sets for chest. so yes, 12 sets in HST ,maybe is a little more than most people do but it helps me fall a sleep better at night :) .
i'll altrnate every workout and my reasons are mainly better progression and variety. i didn't understand the downsides to this, so pls explain.

about the incline flys- i think i do it right (at least with flat), but on incline.....i don't know, something is worng there.

i also alternate between 'A' & 'B' worjouts and i like it. i would definatly change the exercises next cycle just because some arent working out too well.
as for you basso: i just think you have too many different exercises. especially isolataions. like heres what i would do if i were you:
A
dipsx2 or 3 depending on feel
pulleyx2<----are these lat pulldowns??
SQUATSx2
seated calves raisex2
machine shoulder pressx2
hammersx1 or 2(dont do during 15's)
close-grip bench pressx1 or 2(dont do during 15's)
absx2
B
incline bench pressx2 or 3
rows narrowx2
leg pressx2
seated calves raisex2
Barbell sholder pressx2
incline db curlsx1 or 2(dont do during 15's)
reverse-grip bench pressx1 or 2(dont do during 15's)
absx2
you dont need any isolation exercises. period.
you will burn out early doing that many exercises. plus tyring to track all of the different weight increments would be a nightmare.

Back