15-Fold Increase in Insulin Activity

You are right. Insulin sensitivity is measured at the site of action, i.e. fat and muscle. Glucose causes secretion of insulin into the blood stream and tissue responds to the insulin. How well it responds is considered insulin sensitivity. There are many physiological processes involved in insulin release, transport, and eventual use by a target tissue. If your tissues are insulin sensitive, then they will absorb more of the nutrient enriched insulin. That is why bodybuilders are more into timing insulin release when their muscles are the most sensitive to it so we can cram more of it in. As far as when you are lean, or fat for that matter, and sensitive to insulin, taking in too many carbs/protein at the wrong times can cause insulin spikes at less than favorable times.

And the insulin levels have been shown to be inversely proportional to the life span in all researched species...

Why would you want to be more sensitive to insulin ?

I understand that you may want to have muscles that are more sensitive to insulin and fat that is more resistant to insulin.

When you say something like agent-x (green tea) makes you more sensitive to insuline I assume that the effect is systemic.

Am I missing something ?

Rainier.

Are there methods to increase muscle insulin sensitivity without increasing fat insulin sensitivity ?

or decreasing fat insulin sensitivity without decreasing muscle insulin sensitivity ?

Rainier.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are there methods to increase muscle insulin sensitivity without increasing fat insulin sensitivity ?

or decreasing fat insulin sensitivity without decreasing muscle insulin sensitivity ?
Best method I know: keep lifting weights.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RainierWolfcastle @ Oct. 30 2002,5:47)]Are there methods to increase muscle insulin sensitivity without increasing fat insulin sensitivity ?
Rainier.
excercise and high dose fish oil as the previous two posts have said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (=w= @ Oct. 30 2002,3:27)]excercise and high dose fish oil as the previous two posts have said.
Where can I get a good deal on high dose fish oil? Is that the same as pharmaceutical grade fish oil? For a while I was taking cod liver oil, but I'm not sure how healthy it is.

Although I am a big proponent for Green Tea, don't overdo it. Green Tea ECGC's indirectly lower nitric oxide synthase, which is essential for keeping the little guy down below standing up straight.

Green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits the IL-1beta-induced activity and expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and nitric oxide synthase-2 in human chondrocytes.

Ahmed S, Rahman A, Hasnain A, Lalonde M, Goldberg V, Haqqi T.

Department of Orthopedics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA

Beware of green tea produced in China. They're still using pesticides that were long ago banned in the west due to the health hazards they caused.

Back