2 days a week

Joe.Muscle

Ok guys I am starting a new career and I think for about a month or so I will only be able to hit the gym 2 days a week. What do you suggest.

Here is what I am thinking of doing?

Monday

10 degree bench press 6 sets of 8 reps
Rows 6 sets of 8 reps
Standing shoulder press 2 sets of 8 reps
Squats 4 sets of 12 reps.

Thats it twice a week.

Its a little top heavy...but I rather be top heavy than concentrate on the legs.

Friday

Same routine.

Always include the big 3's.....Squat (which you have), Bench (Which you have), and Dealift (which you dont)...Also 8 sets of heavy bench are more then enough for a week

I would configure that routine to...

Day 1:
Bench Press - 4 sets of 8
Rows(Preferably Barbell) - 4 sets of 8
Squats - 4 sets of 8
Bicep Curl - 2 sets x 8-10

Day 2:
Incline Bench Press - 4 sets of 8
Deadlifts - 4 sets of 8
Lat Pulldown - 4 sets x 8
Standing Shoulder Press - 2 sets x 8-10

Rest between sets: 3 min

The reason i spaces the presses (bench & shoulder) is so your tri's and shoulders get sum time to reccuperate from the heavy bench. Now if u can dedicate jus ONE more day of training i can put together an awesum routine for u.

Willyman and the the good doctor are right, both of the mentioned exercises are missing and are a necessity IMO.

The 2x week going with slightly higher frequency and volume makes sense as the rest is greater!

Good luck!

How come 6 sets of bench and only 2 of shoulder press? you need some equality! *insert political joke here*

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lose the bicep curls and add pull ups </div>

Well now pull-ups are pretty much the same thing as Lat Pulldowns but rather then freeweights, your own bodyweight is used. He is already doin Lat Pulldowns friday and in total doin 12 sets of back exercise throughout the week. Im trying to allow him to hit different angles of the muscle in each workout not repeat the same.

Also on monday hes doin 3 HUGE compound lifts at a fairly intense pace...by the end of these 3 he will b exhausted so thats why i supplemented that workout with an isolation and moved other compound lifts to friday. If anything i would even like to add 2 more sets of tricep isolation but that mite b too much to handle for him.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The 2x week going with slightly higher frequency and volume makes sense as the rest is greater!</div>

Well when only limiting workouts to twice weekly, you are craming to many huge compund lifts with a fair amount of volume into a workout. This will inevitable cause the workouts to be less intense. HOWEVER, if he can add in just one more day then he will effectively be able to split these huge lifts supplementing with 1-2 isolation exercises over the course of a week, keeping the intensity nice and steady and also avoid overtraining.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How come 6 sets of bench and only 2 of shoulder press? you need some equality</div>

He is effectively hittin his anterior deltoid in two other exercises where the load will be far greater then that of the standing shoulder press...and seeing how small a muscle the deltiod (particularly the anterior) is, puttin any further stress will induce overtraining.

What about the medial delt, not too mention the high probability in shoulder problems caused by doing 3x more pushing in the 'horizontal' plane as opposed to the vertical plane?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What about the medial delt</div>

Of course there are guna be angles of a muscle group missed cause he's only training twice a week...it's not  possible to effectivly train ure entire body in 2 days and not neglect a single aspect

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">caused by doing 3x more pushing in the 'horizontal' plane as opposed to the vertical plane</div>

How is he not trainin in the horizontal lane...(Deadlifts and Rows)..both hittin his rear delt int he form of a row although deadlifts primarily use your rear delts as a supporting muscle to hold the weight in a static hold at the negative of a lift, the weight compared to a row is significantly larger and does count.

<div>
(Willyman_01 @ Aug. 25 2006,19:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lose the bicep curls and add pull ups </div>

Well now pull-ups are pretty much the same thing as Lat Pulldowns but rather then freeweights, your own bodyweight is used. He is already doin Lat Pulldowns friday and in total doin 12 sets of back exercise throughout the week.</div>
Okay....Point taken....Lose the Curls and Pulldowns and add pull ups.
smile.gif

10 degree bench press 6 sets of 8 reps.......do 3 sets of bench 3 sets of dips
Rows 6 sets of 8 reps....do 3 sets of rows 3 sets of chins
Standing shoulder press 2 sets of 8 reps
Squats 4 sets of 12 reps......do 2 sets of squats 2 sets of deadlifts
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(style @ Aug. 25 2006,12:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How come 6 sets of bench and only 2 of shoulder press? you need some equality! *insert political joke here*</div>
The typical for Joe... he always has 6 sets of Bench.

Why 6 sets....?...simple

6 sets for chest....6 for back....which hits both sides of upper body equally.

Why only 2 sets for shoulders?

B/c they are already being involved heavly on bench (front and medial)

and rear with rows.

So 2 sets is plenty....remember this is based on 2 days a week.

Back