200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

I noticed this past week that my symmetry had gotten pretty messed up in squats, so here's a little video of me making some observations and trying to correct stuff. This is actually after a few days of trying to "fix" things, with some improvement. I'm not sure I'll ever fix the characteristic hip hike/shift I have on the way up from squats, since it shows up even at light weights (i.e. seems to be at least partially a product of a structural abnormality in my right hip, i.e. femoral retroversion on the right side).

http://www.youtube.com/v/9AtJO_BCn8o&hd=1

Looked to me like the banded reps forced you into a rather unnatural body position in the hole; the 185 set without the band looked clean and very smooth. I totally get what you're trying to do, Mike - but your symmetry issue is slight from what the vids show.

Looked to me like the banded reps forced you into a rather unnatural body position in the hole; the 185 set without the band looked clean and very smooth. I totally get what you're trying to do, Mike - but your symmetry issue is slight from what the vids show.

Believe it or not, I actually think the band helps. It does feel a little more unnatural, but seems to help the unbanded sets adopt a more symmetrical position.

While the asymmetry isn't too bad in these vids, I should have taken vids after my vacation break, because it was pretty awful. I was able to clean it up pretty quickly by cue-ing knees out, using the band, and being conscious of my form. However, I feel like I have to be vigilant to maintain this :)

P.S. How are you doing, Tim? How's life :)

Outstanding effort, Mike. Way to push through today!

P.S. How are you doing, Tim? How's life :)

To answer your question.... In a word, stressful. I've been busier than I could ever explain, and companies that have bought custom work from me are so strapped for cash that they aren't paying. It's been something of an awful 4+ months. Ah, Cleveland. I love this place but man is it hard to work here. Thanks for asking, Mike. Hope all is well on your end.

Nice lifts Mike. 4 x 235 for bench is pretty cool for someone who only weighs ~ 165. Almost 1.5 x bw for 4.

Great squatting as always, especially for a mutant hipster! ;)

Back