a few quick Negatives Qs

stan

The closer I get to negatives, the more I worry about them, so I'd appreciate any replies :)

ok, these are the exercises I use:

Deadlift/squat
Machine assisted dip
incline benchpress
Cable Pulldown
Seated Row
Seated Calve-raise
Leg extension
Leg Curl
EZbar bicep curl
cable pushdown
Upright rows
Nelson Situps

I don't have a spotter, so this is what I was thinking about:

DL/SQ : to continue the 5rm max weight.

machine assisted dip: Is there a negative version I could switch to? If not, I guess to continue the 5rm weight.

inc. BP: another one I think I'll need to just continue at 5rm..

cable PD: and another one..

Seated row: I know you can do this one single handed, and thus work it as a negative exercise.

Seated calf-raise: and another negative one by using one leg.

Leg extension/leg curl: using one leg for eccentrics, two legs for concentrics

EZ-bar bicep curl: Not 100% sure what the best way is to do this with eccentrics.. I usually stand and use a barbell, so should I change to sitting in a preacher bench and using a single dumbbell?

cable pushdown: Should I perhaps switch to Cable Bent-Over Triceps extensions? Or should I continue with the pushdown with one arm?

upright rows: I'm using a EZ bar now, should I change to a cable, single-handed? Any other suggestions?
----------

I've heard that it's good to add HIIT after an exercise..

What other things sshould I make sure I cover in my negative exercise? It's the first time I do any negative exercises, so hoping I won't make too many mistakes.

Now I've completely forgotten what other questions I was going to ask... I'll add them when I think of them and read the faq again.

S.

If you can hang some extra weight on yourself (ankle weights or whatever) and use a step stool for the concentric, then dips and pull-ups (or is it chin-ups?  palms facing away from you) become your best friends during negatives.  Generally you can (as you said) do one hand at a time for other exercises, or just "cheat" the weight up.  For triceps, I do lying tri extensions with a dumbbell one hand at a time.

Good luck and be careful -- you still need to use good form.
thumbs-up.gif

I was wondering the same thing. I have no spotter and I work out at home, but I want to do negatives badly. I imagine I can only do them for some exercises... so like you say, I figure use one hand for eccentric motions, then use my other hand to assist on the concentric.
Obviously the squat is out for that as is the good mornings... though I think I could do deads using this idea. I'll have to try it to find out though, which won't be for another two weeks. Bentover rows, I imagine use a dumbbell instead of a barbell and do the same thing.

How close are you to your negatives? I'd like to hear how it works out for you if you get to them before I get to mine. Otherwise I'll share my experience and see if it helps you any.

I'm on the second 5rm week right now, so only 2 workout days left of the 5rm and then I start the negs..

The belt thing for the dip is a good idea.. Although I don't own a belt.. I'll look around for one.

As the weights increase at the same linear pace as normal, it'll be interesting to see where the negs will really start.. maybe I'll be able to increase the 5rm weight in some of the exercises..

I guess you should start negatives when you have to use clustering to finish the third set.

S.

Back