A good shake for weight gain

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by soflsun, Apr 16, 2008.

1. soflsun

soflsun New Member

I've been making this a minimum of 2 hours pre-workout.

This shake is making me put on weight...it may help you:

They call it bananarama at LA Fitnes and I make it at home in a blender as well.

16 ounces of milk
    1 banana
    Huge heaping tablespoon of natural peanut butter
    2 Scoops whey protein (50 grams protein)
    add ice while blending

I haven't added it up, but it's well over 1000 calories.

2. BAX67

BAX67 New Member

That sounds good! This is one of my favorites while bulking:

2C 2%milk
    1C Frozen blueberries
    2TBS Natural peanut butter
    3/4C Dry oatmeal
    2 Scoops Chocolate Whey protein

Blend well.

3. soflsun: that's whole milk right? How does that get to 1000 calories? Is it the peanut butter?

4. soflsun

soflsun New Member

I measured and added it up this morning:

2 cups 2% milk - 244 cal
    2 servings peanut butter - 376 cal
    2 scoops Optimum whey - 210 cal
    1 large banana - 121 cal

951 cal total...

5. TunnelRat

TunnelRat Active Member

<div>
    (electric @ Apr. 16 2008,11:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">soflsun: that's whole milk right? How does that get to 1000 calories? Is it the peanut butter?</div>
    Yeah, I had it figured for just under 700 calories...

It's the &quot;heaping&quot; part that takes the peanut butter from 190 to 380...

And 2% milk would give 80+ more calories than skim, bringing the total up to nearly 1,000.

Two of those shakes would meet my entire day's allotment of calories...!  [​IMG]

6. soflsun

soflsun New Member

Oh man...they're making me fat. But oh so tasty...

I'm liking it for breakfast! Almost ensures me proper energy for my workout regardless of when I get to it. [​IMG]

7. newpers

newpers New Member

Sounds tasty. I work out at night. If I have this in the morning, what should I have for a post workout shake?

I used to do muscle milk for the casein, but from what I gather from these forums, it may have too much fat in it to be effective. My problem is I have trouble gaining weight, so the fat may not be an issue for me. I've also read something about mixing egg whites and whey for a post-workout shake.

8. soflsun

soflsun New Member

If I was really having trouble putting on weight, I would drink 1 in the morning and 1 after my workout. Personally, my post workout shake is:

25g maltodextrin
    25g dextrose
    1 heaping scoop of Optimum whey (35g or so)
    12 ounces of 2% milk

Some say it is better to mix the shake with water for quicker absorption (since there is no fat in water), but I have heard that protein cannot be digested without fat, so I stick to the milk.

9. My shake is similar:

62g Maltodextrin
    62g Nature's Best Isopure Whey (~50g isolated whey)
    5g Glutamine
    5g Creatine
    600ml whole milk

Since I workout in the morning I take half of this shake 30 minutes before the workout and take the other half as soon as I am done lifting.