A New, Rather Long Analysis of the Deadlift

rock.gif
I think that's a world record isn't it ?......wow, incredible

Quad, the only hawaiian dude I can think of who had a premature death is Anthony Clark. He did have the powerlifting total world record for a while at 2600 lbs. Deadlift wasn't one of his stronger lifts. I don't think he "even" made it up to 800 lbs. His claim to fame was his awesome bench, that he did with reverse grip ! He was the first to bench over 700

Steve, that was the guy. He was supposedly a natural too. The record has come a long way from his; I don't expect it's by natty's.
No s#!+? Only 800? I used to think he was the bad man from the bad lands!

PLing is cool, but I don't like it nearly so well as I used to. I've probably said this before, but when guys are squatting way over their DL, and even benching more than their DL, I wonder how much is the lifter and how much the equipment.

That's one reason that I pay more attention to DL records, as it's not so influenced by what you're wearing.

I'm sure that lifting what guys lift takes amazing strength even if you were wearing a hydraulic suit.
tounge.gif
Still, I'd just like to see what the lifter can do without all the gear on.

Steve, keep pulling conventional. You probably measured wrong. I have not been liking sumo-style lately and been doing some conventional deads. I re-checked my measurements and noticed that it is VERY EASY to measure wrong for your hip/shoulder and arm...especially for arm and hip. I re-measured and this time it told me I was conventional!!! I say screw that measuring crap and just do what feels natural. Personally I like conventional with a somewhat wide-stance....instead of the really narrow stance that some lifters take.

I mistakenly thought that since I didn't like a super-narrow stance that this meant I should pull sumo-style...when really all it meant was to take a natural, shoulder-width stance which feels perfect to me.

I also found out recently that my body responds well with great form to olympic-style squats, but I hate wide-stance, parallel power-squats.

The morale of the story...find the lifting stance/style that works for your body.

I'm now much more interested in Oly lifting exactly because of what NTx said. Once I found out about the lifting suits that the big PLs use for squatting and benching, it just felt like it wasn't so much about raw lifting strength anymore. Thankfully, there's not too much help to be had from a suit when DLing. Even though Andy Bolton is incredibly strong, I am more impressed by the likes of Hossein Reza Zadeh. Lifting almost 600lbs above your head is truly awesome.
cool.gif

Back